electrical problem - need help

The other day my wife turned on the dishwasher and the ceiling light went out (it's a hanging lamp.) I checked the bulb and the circuit breaker, both are fine. I'm not sure what to check next. I'm hoping to do this repair myself. I have a continuity tester to help diagnose but not sure what to check, any help would be appreciated.

thanks!

Mark

Reply to
Mark Phelps

Gfi , Fuse, Circut breaker, Loose wire.

Reply to
mark Ransley

Three possibilities.

The beaker is NOT alright, but looks that way. BTW normally a dishwasher should have it's own circuit.

There is a GF device in line. These ground fault devices offer some protection from grounding problems and may be part of an outlet somewhere and the dishwasher may have set it off and everything down stream from it will now be off as well. They often have two buttons (one test one rest) and are often found in kitchens, baths, garages, basements and outside.

Last you may have a wiring problem. How old is the home and do you have aluminum wiring?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Does the problem happen consistently, or was that a one shot deal?

Also, what do you mean by "continuity tester"? If you are using a multimeter and you try to check for continuity on live wires, you will damage or destroy the meter and maybe yourself.

Reply to
tempus fugit

Did you turn the breaker all the way off and then all the way on again? It may look like it is set but isn't.

Reply to
Dick

Thanks for the replies. I have flipped the breaker off and on even though it appears fine. No luck. The house is ten years old. I wouldn't think it would be a wiring problem yet. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?

Reply to
Mark Phelps

Hi, Dish washer is still working? Just no light? If so, I'd just try different bulb first which is simple thing to do. Then I'd check the bulb socket.(after turning the breaker off) Tony

Mark Phelps wrote:

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Thanks for the reply. How do I tell if the breaker is the problem if it looks o.k.? There is a Ground fault device as you describe on the wall behind the dishwasher. I pushed reset but the light still does not work. The house is ten years old and does NOT have aluminum wiring. Any suggestions?

Mark

Reply to
Mark Phelps

If everything on that circuit is out, I always suspect the breaker. I use a multi test meter. How comfortable do you feel about getting into the breaker box and sticking test probes around?

I can't remember, but if you have not tried turning each and every breaker off and then back on in the box, give that a try. If you find one that feels different, that would be a primary suspect.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If there is test button as well as a reset button on the device behind the dishwasher, push the test button first and then the reset button.

I have however seen circuit breakers fail and you cannot tell just by looking at them if they are good or not. The breaker would have to be pulled and tested independently of your circuit in question. This by the sounds of it, isn't something that you should be trying yourself.

If your dishwasher works and the ceiling light doesn't and they are on the same circuit (which they shouldn't be) you have a wiring problem that you may not be able to solve yourself. This of course assumes that it isn't a question of a bad light bulb, socket or light switch.

At this point where you are "grasping at straws" for a solution and don't have the skill to solve the problem, I would bite the bullet and hire an electrician as the cost of a funeral is far more than that of an electrician.

Reply to
Ron

the cost of a funeral is far more than that of an

Not necessarily...

Rick

Reply to
Rick