Electrical problem

(didn't seem to go through, sorry if repost)

Yesterday I had the light in two ajoining rooms and one of two outlets in the second room (the first room has no outlets) suddenly stop working. The other outlet in the second room appears to be on a different circuit. All of my fuses are good. I have replaced outlets, light fixtures, and switches in the past (but none of the ones giving me problems). Is it possible that one of those elements being bad (switch, outlet, light fixture) could be breaking the circut for everything else? Or it it more likely that somehow the wiring itself became damaged before reaching any of those things?

Reply to
Darren Garrison

You did not mention how large the home is or how may circuits it might have.

I worded it that way because it might be possible that one leg, main fuse. or breaker might be bad.

Post back with more info and I or some one will help you.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Most likely it is the first or second outlet on the circuit, especially if the wires were pushed in rather than screwed on. The first one may have broken the circuit to the second, or the second one has its power input broken. Start with the first one, checking its output connections, then the second, checking its input connection.

Reply to
Willshak

Just because the fuse looks good doesn't mean that it is. Swap it with another one to find out.

Reply to
Lawrence

It looks to be just two circuits, one for the front half of the house and one from the back. The fuse box has 4 spaces for screw type fuses and between those two pull-out boxes with two large cylinder fuses in each. I swapped every one of the fuses around without solving the problem. I mapped out which rooms were effected when each fuse was removed. There was one fuse that didn't effect anything, so I assumed that it was for the circuit in the lightless area. So I removed that fuse and started to remove the light switch to the first problem light. And got a tingle of electricity. I had to remove a different fuse to get the power to that area to go off. So I found out two things-- that the fuse isn't the problem because power reaches the kitchen which is on the same circuit, and that the power does reach the light switch in the first room where the light doesn't work. So whatever the problem is, it must be between the switch and the first non-working light.

Reply to
Darren Garrison

"stopped working" is vague.

Did you use a circuit tester? You might have an infamous 'floating wire" in you panel or another box.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

If only one light was out the problem could be from switch to light. With more than the light out it sounds like an open neutral.

bud--

Reply to
Bud--

Unfortunately, I haven't used a multimeter in so long that I no longer know where mine is, and I didn't have one of those little circuit testers. All I knew is that there was enough of a current for me to feel a tingle when I touched it thinking I had pulled the right fuse, but not enough to make anything work. Today I found that the outlet in the kitchen closest to the wall to that room didn't work, took it out and found no problem, then went to the next outlet over, which did work, and it had a loose wire on the "out" side. Screwing that wire back in place solved my problems.

Reply to
Darren Garrison

Look for a GFI outlet that might have been installed in the kitchen or bath, or even outside, that might be tripped. If they replaced an older outlet with a GFI, they may have put the rest of the circuit beyond the outlet on hte GFI. If it tripped, all beyond would go out as well.

Reply to
Mark

imho:

I would get a circuit tester from one of the large box home stores. They run about $5, and can tell if there might be an open neutral, etc.

I would strongly suggest you get a qualified person/electrician, when it comes to trouble shooting electric circuits.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great