Electrical boxes, Metal or Plastic??

Hey,

For new construction are there any major downsides to plastic boxes? I've never used em before but they seem easier and a little cheaper but what are the down sides? Also when did they start to take over from metal?

Thanks

Nick..

Reply to
Nick

I find it harder to get the mounting screws started, when fastening a switch or receptacle into the box. The mounting holes in metal boxes are already tapped for machine screw threads, but in plastic boxes the screws cut their own threads.

It's also a *lot* harder to secure Romex cable in those silly-a$$ "clamps" at the back of most plastic boxes, than to use Romex connectors, or the built-in real clamps that metal boxes have.

About the same time that people began to prefer low cost over high quality.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Is the plastic box treated to be fire resistant? Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The brown ones ... usually 1 hour

Reply to