Electric range

We are in the market for a new electric range. Have always had the type with the exposed coil "burners". Many of the ones we look at have the flat glass surface. What are the pros and cons of the flat glass ranges.
Thanks
They're neat and clean, but your pots and pans must be absolutely flat, to make good contact with the surface, or it takes a while to heat

We bought a glass-top stove a few years back and haven't had any trouble with any of our cookware. Flat top stoves are on our must- have list for future homes.
--
Keith

Read consumer reports at your local library for reviews and comparisons. Well worth it.

I have subscribed to Consumer Reports for years. Many times after evaluating a product I find that the CU ratings are counterpoint to my evaluation and I have purchased a lesser rated item and have been very happy with it.
CU makes a good starting point though.

Main disadvantage is that they can be easily broken if you drop something hard and heavy on them. Friend of mine had that happen on a brand new one he put into a vacation house he rents out. Renter put a quarter size chip into it, and now there is a crack running across from it too. And the $300+ figure is accurate to replace it. In his case, it would be almost as much as he paid for the whole stove.
Main advantage is they are very easy to keep clean and look cool. Personally, I prefer gas and when it's time for a new range here, that's what I'm getting.

If you opt for the flat surface, keep it clean using the liquid made for that purpose. If you cook on it when it is dirty, you just might wind up with a stain that cannot be removed (happened to us). And, try to avoid boil-overs.

I have seen compliants that the surface is too easily broken. So, if you accidentally drop something heavy on it (cast iron skillet?) it can be broken. Some brands have a better warranty than others so check the warrtany since it is of course an expensive repair.

Pro: Look nice Easy to clean
Con: Not all cookware work well on them Cast iron pans are not very good on them and can scratch the top Expensive to replace if it breaks $300 and up. Older models were slow response, but that is supposed to be improved Can't toast marshmallows like you can on a gas range
You may want to search/read the archives on rec.food.equipment as this has been discussed there many times.

Pros: Less dirt. Easier to clean. Looks snazzy. Longer time between failures, barring damage.
Cons:    More expensive to buy. Impossible to fix, if it is damaged. May not work with your cookware.