Electric fence for dogs

I want to deter my dog (70lbs) from trying to get over my wood picket, 6 foot, fence.
If I use a 110V cord from the house I'm concerned that he might chew on it and, if I use a solar panel, I have no idea what would be the best/safest for my pet, as I am an electrical dunce.
The area that I want to protect is 8 foot long.
Your help will be appreciated.
Lewis.
*****

go to a feed store and get what they use for cows.
the voltage from a solar panel can be in the hundreds of volts, and won't work at night.

Same here. 110V will fry your dog and the panels might fricassee him. Our neighbor has 110 running along the top of their chicken coop pen and it has toasted a couple of coyotes - but that is its purpose.
RonB

Current limiting is required. You want to shock, not cook, and you need more ac voltage.
Greg

Get some cheap plastic tubing, for water supplies or underground sprinkler systems or metal tubing for electrical lines and put the power cord in the tubing

This <http://www.invisiblefence.com/ is the very best thing ever invented for keeping your dog in, but it might be overkill for an 8-foot span.
I don't know how your fence is constructed, but one key to keeping dogs from being able to climb a fence is to prevent him from being able to get a foothold on the way up. You may want to consider nailing in extra boards to block off whatever crossbars there might be, or cover the fence with a 4x8 sheet of clear Plexiglas (acrylic).
How high can your dog jump?
--
Tegger

There are the two alternatives noted--the dog retainer system or the livestock electric fence option--there are battery/solar powered versions of them to get rid of the AC.
But, also as noted, either are fairly pricey for such a short area; your better bet might be to work to train the dog. There are shock collars and other aids there; working w/ the animal is probably the best altho time-consuming.
On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 08:35:57 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Get an "invisible fence" unit with collar for the dog - you can keep him away from ANYTHING you want to keep him away from - and it's harmless.
On Jul 6, 3:00pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

This is a good suggestion. We had a very bone-headed German Shepard who absolutely refused to come with called and was into digging up the back yard. We put a remote-controlled shock collar on him for a while nd it changed his behavior within a week or two. He saw an object in your hand that looked like the remote and he was a good doggie. Even without the shock collar on, later in his training, I could pull by keys out and hold them up and he did what he as commanded to do.
The fences work on the same principle but they are passive. You don't have to push the button.
RonB

And if they don't fix your dog he aint worth saving!

Any farm supply store will have electric fence supplies. They are low cost, harmless to animals and effective. No point in reinventing something that works and is cost effective.
Joe

But it will NOT stop a dog from JUMPING over a fence, and is illegal in most built up areas. Just get the "invisible fence" and be done with it. It works, it's simple. ot's safe, and it's not terribly expensive.
On Sunday, July 8, 2012 10:25:24 AM UTC-6, (unknown) wrote:

Will it work for bears? I now have THREE yearling black bears destroying my property and I'd rather deter them than shoot them. They act like surly teenagers as they shuffle off when I yell at them.

Shotgun and rock salt?

Invisible fence will work fine, but you will have to put a shock color on them and change the batteries quarterly :)
I need an electric fence for asshole neighbors.
On 07/06/2012 08:35 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Staple some wire-weld fencing up on the top of the fence so that it rises two feet over the height of the fence. Dogs can't climb up the floppy fencing, and eight feet is enough to keep him from hopping over it.
Jon

Guinness book of world records, 68". (5 ft, 8 in.)
That's clearing the fence, not reaching the top and climbing.
--
Dan Espen

On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 08:35:57 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

I bought a FiShock and it came with some special yellow wire. After a few shocks, all I need is the yellow wire to keep my lab in or out of any area I want to contain..
YMMV with a dumber dog.