Electical gnag boxes

Can a singel metal switch box, which has 2 screws holding the shell together, be attached to another metal box with the same type configuration but the side wall from both removed to make a double gang metal switch box? Or do I have to install a double gang plastic switch box instead?
FDR wrote:

If you're talking about the two screws holding the side plates on, yep, that's how they're designed. You can screw a bunch of them together that way if you like having all your switches in a row....but, please don't!
RicodJour wrote:

why not? what (IYO) is a resonable limit? 3 or 4 switches?
cheers Bob
BobK207 wrote:

In TLATR (The Law According To Rico), four is the absolute limit. After four, even the people living in the house forget which switch is which, so it's time for a new bank of switches and/or another location.

Why is it impossible to put labels on them?
I've actually seen 24 together, at a university library.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

I suppose if youy want your house to look like a university library, go for it. Most people end up hating those big switch banks.
Mark Lloyd wrote:

Yes. It's physically impossible...
Having to label switches is the sign of poor planning and design.

How many libraries have you seen with bedrooms and laundry rooms? Libraries are not houses and there's no point in comparing the two. A bank of 24 switches is also a sign of poor planning and design, just on a higher level of poor.

Maybe it's not "HAVING to label switches", but "GETTING to label switches". There's a big difference when labeling is accepted as a benefit, rather than a liability.
I've seen a group of labeled switches in a house (dining room light, adjacent utility room light, outside light). It was just 3, but labeling was helpful here.

The library was different, the janitor would turn them all on at the same time in the morning. I was just saying I had seen 24 together. It was not a recommendation that you arrange them that way.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Something to do with magnetic fields.

Yeah, but them's smart at them thar libaries.

You use labels made from 40AWG magnet wire, using a special helical winding designed to cancel the effect. If you have more than 20 switches within 1.5 meters of each other, it may be necessary to add a small palladium filament.

I am unable to comply, since I don't use email when it is not appropriate.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
What's a gnag box?
I've heard of nag boxes. (or nag bags). In fact I live with one of them.
John
On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 16:38:53 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@internet.com wrote:

A gnag box is what you need if you have aluminum wiring and want to safely wire a small gnu into your electrical system.
snipped-for-privacy@internet.com wrote:

G-Unit's wife. :O
Please don't tell him I said that!
http://g-unit.hip-hop.pl/img_news/get_rich_or_ost.jpg