East Coast and snow

Page 2 of 2

We are getting hit pretty bad here on the coast of Maine as well...Here anything less than a foot is called flurries but this one is pretty bad...About 16 inches SO FAR and very windy (35-50 MPH) making it near impossible to see and creating big drifts as fast as you clear them...

I now live in the banana belt of Colorado. 50 degrees today. Could have gone motorcycle trail riding if others were off work. Moved here from the high country (10,000 feet) that I lived and worked for 13 years. 300 inches of yearly snow and temps down to minus 35. Worked outside and some days were below zero. However it was the best job I ever had and enjoyed it. But preferred that to the 100 degrees we get some times in the summer here WW

That sounds great. Yeah, the mountains. Nice in the spring/fall. But winter....ack!. What is the banana belt? Marina

85? Me thinks a typo. Live where? Gates?

For us it was 6 - 12 inches per day, every day. Some days it was only 8 inches. It wouldn't stop. Glad I don't live near Sodus. Fairport and Penfield hardly saw anything. As well as my friends in the Finger Lakes hardly anything.
Just heard on the news we went over the highest on record for December.
Well the only reason I wrote the first message was I was listening to the weather channel who were so crazy about snow in NYC. geesh, they aren't in the south where they aren't used to snow. It was like then were annoucing the end of days. Marina
On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 18:34:02 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

The thing that makes this storm so different in NYC is that we're used to truly excellent work by our sanitation workers. They've normally plowed my little (tertiary) road three times within 24 hours. This time it got plowed once and it's been three days now and things are chaos around here. And we're the lucky ones; many roads haven't been plowed at all.
It was a bigger storm than normal and the wind did cause large drifts, but the real difference is that Bloomberg fired 400 sanitation workers a few months back, many of them were supervisors. So there are fewer bodies to do the work, less people to coordinate and know how to deal with it, and a resentful department that is clearly using this opportunity to screw Bloomberg.
When all our money is going to support two unnecessary wars (just think about the words "unnecessary wars") and the right wing is screaming about taxes, well, services are going to get cut. They sure aren't going to cut the military even though these wars have cost us over two TRILLION dollars and continue to cost over a billion a day. Hey, that's starts turning into real money.
So yeah, the libraries are closing, parks are turning to shit, and the infrastructure deteriorates. Hey, but the wealthy are doing very well so it's all ok. They'll have more money to create more jobs. In Thailand.
dgk wrote: ...

Which has nothing whatsoever to do w/ _NYC_ budgets; the City is supposed to be funding itself, not looking to the Federal Government.
On 12/29/2010 8:00 AM, dgk wrote:

Well hell, let's put some more Affirmative Action people in charge, that will solve everything. Affirmative Action describes the quadriplegic gymnastics coach. :-)
TDD
dgk wrote:

I lived in the frozen northeast for 34 years and during that time I watches the wussification with disgust. Over those years we got less and less snow, yet the roads had to be plowed more often and people had less and less of a clue how to drive.
I'm all for cutting taxes and eliminating all the unnecessary "services" pandering to those who are incapable of taking care of themselves. As for your claim of "unnecessary" wars, I sincerely hope you wake up one day soon and realize why those wars are indeed necessary. Ignoring a cancer and letting it grow unchecked is simply not an option.

If all goes true to form the jobs will all go to Afganistan about 10 years after the war is over.

You're such a liar, harry.

You aren't alone.
"Marina" wrote in message
Now do you people understand what we go thru in WNY on a daily basis? I live on the Lake Ontario shore line. Plow, plow, plow at least once each day and several days 2 or 3 times a day.
I must say it's nice and quiet around here. I'm in a flight path about 20 miles from the airport. Nothing is coming into the city even tho we aren't affected by this storm.
We've had 2 feet before and it's just an inconvenience of clearing off the car and taking a few extra minutes to get to work. Our county gets right out there as soon as it looks bad and plows/salts the streets. They keep going all night if they have to.
Of course NYC and Boston are larger cities than us. I do feel sorry for them, except I have a small chuckle that wants to call out.... You are babies!! he he
On my way home I saw 2 teen girls walking with thin clothes and tops slouched down with bare shoulders exposed. What is that! The wind chill is 12 degrees with 30 MPH gusts. I stopped the car and offered an extra jacket I keep in the car. They were laughing and said No. I wondered if they were Hi on something. <sigh> Marina
-----
Here you are putting down residents of NYC and Boston not being prepared and yet in your own area people walk around unprepared?
And unless you live in Oswego county, you don't "know" NY accumulations.
NYC and Boston btw get more rain, hotter summers, higher speed winds, tropical storm threats, and less sun than Buffalo or Rochester. Funny how you don't mention how tough those things are.