East Coast and snow

I rest my case. Thanks for making it so easy.

You can't say "what we go thru in WNY on a *daily basis*" and "Plow, plow, plow at least once *each day*" and then turn around and say "Not this past week, tho."

"A daily basis" means "every day".

"At least once each day" means just that: "At least once *each* day".

Sure, we get more snow, more often in WNY. No argument. However, to claim it happens "on a daily basis" and then tell me that *I'm* full of hot air makes you wrong twice.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Frank wrote in news:ifbdda$npl$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Rochester,or anywhere near Ransomville? I used to have relatives in the latter.

the Buffalo area gets some lake effect snow,depending on the winds,but it's the "southtowns" that get most of the lake-effect snow. Hamburg,etc. sometimes the lake effect snow gets as far north as the Tonawandas.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

But GENERALLY, lake effect is worse 6-12 miles in from the lake. At least iwt works that way coming in off Georgian bay and Lake huron and Erie

Reply to
clare

And there are times when only the lake shore gets snow...and the guy on TV calls it lake effect. Go figure...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The thing that makes this storm so different in NYC is that we're used to truly excellent work by our sanitation workers. They've normally plowed my little (tertiary) road three times within 24 hours. This time it got plowed once and it's been three days now and things are chaos around here. And we're the lucky ones; many roads haven't been plowed at all.

It was a bigger storm than normal and the wind did cause large drifts, but the real difference is that Bloomberg fired 400 sanitation workers a few months back, many of them were supervisors. So there are fewer bodies to do the work, less people to coordinate and know how to deal with it, and a resentful department that is clearly using this opportunity to screw Bloomberg.

When all our money is going to support two unnecessary wars (just think about the words "unnecessary wars") and the right wing is screaming about taxes, well, services are going to get cut. They sure aren't going to cut the military even though these wars have cost us over two TRILLION dollars and continue to cost over a billion a day. Hey, that's starts turning into real money.

So yeah, the libraries are closing, parks are turning to shit, and the infrastructure deteriorates. Hey, but the wealthy are doing very well so it's all ok. They'll have more money to create more jobs. In Thailand.

Reply to
dgk

dgk wrote: ...

Which has nothing whatsoever to do w/ _NYC_ budgets; the City is supposed to be funding itself, not looking to the Federal Government.

--

Reply to
dpb

Well hell, let's put some more Affirmative Action people in charge, that will solve everything. Affirmative Action describes the quadriplegic gymnastics coach. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Now do you people understand what we go thru in WNY on a daily basis? I live on the Lake Ontario shore line. Plow, plow, plow at least once each day and several days 2 or 3 times a day.

I must say it's nice and quiet around here. I'm in a flight path about 20 miles from the airport. Nothing is coming into the city even tho we aren't affected by this storm.

We've had 2 feet before and it's just an inconvenience of clearing off the car and taking a few extra minutes to get to work. Our county gets right out there as soon as it looks bad and plows/salts the streets. They keep going all night if they have to.

Of course NYC and Boston are larger cities than us. I do feel sorry for them, except I have a small chuckle that wants to call out.... You are babies!! he he

On my way home I saw 2 teen girls walking with thin clothes and tops slouched down with bare shoulders exposed. What is that! The wind chill is 12 degrees with 30 MPH gusts. I stopped the car and offered an extra jacket I keep in the car. They were laughing and said No. I wondered if they were Hi on something. Marina

-----

Here you are putting down residents of NYC and Boston not being prepared and yet in your own area people walk around unprepared?

And unless you live in Oswego county, you don't "know" NY accumulations.

NYC and Boston btw get more rain, hotter summers, higher speed winds, tropical storm threats, and less sun than Buffalo or Rochester. Funny how you don't mention how tough those things are.

Reply to
The Henchman

I lived in the frozen northeast for 34 years and during that time I watches the wussification with disgust. Over those years we got less and less snow, yet the roads had to be plowed more often and people had less and less of a clue how to drive.

I'm all for cutting taxes and eliminating all the unnecessary "services" pandering to those who are incapable of taking care of themselves. As for your claim of "unnecessary" wars, I sincerely hope you wake up one day soon and realize why those wars are indeed necessary. Ignoring a cancer and letting it grow unchecked is simply not an option.

Reply to
Pete C.

If all goes true to form the jobs will all go to Afganistan about 10 years after the war is over.

Reply to
clare

You're such a liar, harry.

You aren't alone.