EARTHQUAKE

But most of the consequences of those events are related to how well the support systems addressed the AFTER EFFECTS or failures of man-made structures brought about by the event. E.g., had NOLA been ABOVE sea level, most of the fatalities there would not have occurred. The storm, itself, didn't kill those people; the failure of levees meant to keep the sea water out of the low-lying wards did!

How often do you see *bodies* littering the area of a storm/disaster?

Last year, ~30 people died as a direct result of tornados. Despite all the *power* that they unleashed! 1000 times more people died in the same period due to automobile accidents -- almost the same number as lost their lives to guns! Bundle up the energy expended in all of those car crashes (or gunshots) and compare it to the energy in *one* tornado...

What you *see* in the media is the devastation that these events leave behind. And, *imagine* that the "human cost" must have been tremendous! It is -- but in the *aftermath*, not the event itself!

Reply to
Don Y

I've been scared with close calls several times. I get in the bedroom closet and bring the dog in there with me along with some flashlights, my phone, and anything else I might think I need at the time.

Last spring I came home and there was a combination of super cells that were converging on the city coming from 3 different directions. Down town got hit with gustnado's, and one small tornado, and I was tracking it all via 2 tv stations weather reports. Things seemed to be calming down and I got up and looked out my back window and saw the clouds moving away from me North pretty fast. OK ... all is well, I thought. A few minutes later I went back and looked again and the clouds had reversed direction and were coming straight at me going south and spinning counter clockwise over the house. At first I thought "how beautiful", and then I thought "OH CRAP! This CAN'T be good!!" and headed straight for the closet with the dog. We were hit with heavy hail about 10 seconds after I got in the closet, but no tornado. Later I found out that what I was seeing was those 3 different super cells converging on each other and the clouds were spinning like crazy because of it.

Reply to
Muggles

We've had about 6 close calls during tornado season. All we can do is pay attention to where the storms are and what direction they're moving, but when they're coming straight for us you decide just how much you believe in prayer. The best hiding place in a house is a room with no outside walls or windows. We have one tiny coat closet that fits that description and the door doesn't latch tight on it. Probably one small person could squat down in it. The other choice is the bedroom closet, but it's on a west facing wall. The house is built in an L shape and the closet would be located on the inside corner of the L. Me, the hubby, and the dog would fit in that one, but if a strong F5 or F4 tornado hit our house we'd be lucky if there was anything left, but strange things happen and sometimes a twister will take part of a house and not touch something else.

Reply to
Muggles

918 area. Tulsa is in NE Oklahoma about 100 miles NNE of Oklahoma City. We haven't been getting the actual quakes, just getting shaken up some. The 5.4 about 2 or 3 years ago did cause some damage in this area.

And the count for today is now up around 30 quakes in North Central Oklahoma.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

Muggles wrote: "We've had tornadoes, have weakened hurricanes come through, and now we're getting regular earth quakes, too. "

Big Mama Earth is waking up - and she's PISSED!!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

I had to look up "Autochthonous". I guess that makes Me born and bred on Turtle Island, Eh? ^^

Reply to
Eagle

Wouldn't a room with 2 foot thick reinforced concrete walls and cieling built in the center of the house be the best place to ride out a tornado?

Reply to
Eagle

Can you get tornado insurance where you live Maggie? If so, is it expensive?

Reply to
Eagle

Wow. We never hear about quakes in Oklahoma out here.

Reply to
Eagle

I'm sure it would, but it'd be an expensive remodel.

Reply to
Muggles

I'm pretty sure it's covered by "acts of God".

Reply to
Muggles

Muggles posted for all of us...

What has your experience been with cell phone usage after a storm?

Reply to
Tekkie®

I would figure in that expense with the mortgage, but that's just Me. As far as shakers go, having a concrete box in the middle of the house for shelter would be a trap IMO. Getting outside and away from the street lighting and transformer boxes would be My move.

Reply to
Eagle

Does 'god' [small g] take dollars or pounds? :')

Reply to
Eagle

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

reement or wish death and destruction upon someone with diametrically oppos ed beliefs unless that person wished to harm you or anyone else who refused to or failed to kowtow to their way of thinking. BS likes to BS and produc e copious amounts of silly puns. How is poking fun at humanity cringe-worth y? I do it all the time and no one has ever been harmed because of it. ?.?

Because it is you Unc I will reiterate my objections.

Over in alt.hvac he claimed to be a tech. He gave out information that coul d hurt or kill someone, frequently. He would sell used parts out of his van a s new. As a locksmith he admitted to ripping old people off, breaking jams if necessary.

Research his postings over the years there and here. These are the ones I remember now. I won't have anything to do with such a person. I have KF him . As I see some of his posts carried through he is still pulling his act; expert when posting-innocent when caught. He refuses to learn.

I cannot discern whether he is troll or idiot. I try to warn people away, that is the best I can do.

Reply to
Tekkie®

I haven't have any cell phone outages or issues after a storm, but I also wasn't in an area directly hit by a tornado, either. The closest I've been is about 2 miles from a hit.

Reply to
Muggles

Shake and bake!

Reply to
Eagle

Tekkie® presented the following explanation :

Stormy is a good Man, and I like his sense of humor. Time to unload that 'tude T dude...

Reply to
Eagle

Shake, rattle, and roll!

Reply to
Muggles

Thats it. This thread is going into the Kill File now!

Reply to
Paintedcow