Dumb soldering Q

I've got an old stereo receiver with a broken main switch (not replaceable). It won't power.
I can solder a jumper across 2 contacts on the switch board (I think). Then add an in-line switch to the power cord.
Don't know much about soldering ...
What should I use for a jumper? Copper? Other material? Stranded? Non-stranded?
Thx, Puddin'
"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller

any copper wire.
why not run 2 wires from existing switch and use a different switch install in convient location
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 19:46:22 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Those little switches that clamp onto lamp cord are nice. I"m sure they can be soldered on. I paint two parts of the white dial red so I can tell when the switch is on. I usually use nail polish. It has it's own brush.

I put one of those on a lamp for a friends mother. After months of use it quit working. Taking it apart, I found that it had been internal arcing where it made a poor connection to the wire. It could have started a fire. That's the last time I use one of those.
Bob

Anything will work. Stranded will be easiest because of all the surface area.
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:38:34 -0500, Puddin' Man wrote:

Find a buddy who knows how to solder and ask for lessons. What you are wanting to do is a 5-10 minute task tops.
Puddin' Man wrote:

Why the jumper? Just heat one of the existing connections until the solder melts, pull the wire loose, then solder the loose wire to the other switch terminal.

It's one of those push-button switches. All enclosed, and mounted to a little PCB, which has 2 solder points for switch current. 'Tis them that I will jump.
"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller
Puddin' Man wrote:

Ah, one of those new-fangled electronic gadgets.

I was kinda thinking one of those As Seen on TV "Clappers" :-)

google is your friend.
so is the sci.electronics.repair FAQ.
Can't emphasize enough to use only solder flux rated for electronic equipment. The solder flux in the solder is corrosive and if the wrong flux is used will turn your electronic equipment into a bunch of green crude. Look for the words: Rosin flux or electronic flux
Using plumbing flux is a definite no-no.

What I got is an ancient Radio Shack cheapo soldering kit, including solder. I've used it maybe once every 4 years to solder a new battery into a personal trimmer. Solder joints look OK over time.

Check.
Thx. P

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller
Do NOT buy one of those Radio Shack cold soldering irons. They are crap.

The free wire stripper wasn't too bad.
The iron wasn't total crap. It actually gave me a joint in under four minutes, never mind that with a $10 pencil-style iron, the same joint would have taken me four seconds.

What make/model/year? What style switch -- pushbotton, toggle on toggle off?

Copper. Stranded solders fastest.
How many amps will be passing through the jumper?

Technics SA-R210. Pushbutton, soldered to PCB. Toggles.

What I used.

Garden-variety output, I'd guess 4 A. max.
"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller