Dumb soldering Q

I've got an old stereo receiver with a broken main switch (not replaceable). It won't power.

I can solder a jumper across 2 contacts on the switch board (I think). Then add an in-line switch to the power cord.

Don't know much about soldering ...

What should I use for a jumper? Copper? Other material? Stranded? Non-stranded?

Thx, Puddin'

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller

Reply to
Puddin' Man

any copper wire.

why not run 2 wires from existing switch and use a different switch install in convient location

Reply to
hallerb

Anything will work. Stranded will be easiest because of all the surface area.

Reply to
Toller

Those little switches that clamp onto lamp cord are nice. I"m sure they can be soldered on. I paint two parts of the white dial red so I can tell when the switch is on. I usually use nail polish. It has it's own brush.

Reply to
mm

I put one of those on a lamp for a friends mother. After months of use it quit working. Taking it apart, I found that it had been internal arcing where it made a poor connection to the wire. It could have started a fire. That's the last time I use one of those.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Find a buddy who knows how to solder and ask for lessons. What you are wanting to do is a 5-10 minute task tops.

Reply to
franz frippl

Why the jumper? Just heat one of the existing connections until the solder melts, pull the wire loose, then solder the loose wire to the other switch terminal.

Reply to
HeyBub

google is your friend.

so is the sci.electronics.repair FAQ.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Can't emphasize enough to use only solder flux rated for electronic equipment. The solder flux in the solder is corrosive and if the wrong flux is used will turn your electronic equipment into a bunch of green crude. Look for the words: Rosin flux or electronic flux

Using plumbing flux is a definite no-no.

Reply to
jmagerl

It's one of those push-button switches. All enclosed, and mounted to a little PCB, which has 2 solder points for switch current. 'Tis them that I will jump.

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Ah, one of those new-fangled electronic gadgets.

Reply to
HeyBub

What I got is an ancient Radio Shack cheapo soldering kit, including solder. I've used it maybe once every 4 years to solder a new battery into a personal trimmer. Solder joints look OK over time.

Check.

Thx. P

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Do NOT buy one of those Radio Shack cold soldering irons. They are crap.

Reply to
Art

"HeyBub" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

I was kinda thinking one of those As Seen on TV "Clappers" :-)

Reply to
Al Bundy

What make/model/year? What style switch -- pushbotton, toggle on toggle off?

Copper. Stranded solders fastest.

How many amps will be passing through the jumper?

Reply to
Father Haskell

The free wire stripper wasn't too bad.

The iron wasn't total crap. It actually gave me a joint in under four minutes, never mind that with a $10 pencil-style iron, the same joint would have taken me four seconds.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Technics SA-R210. Pushbutton, soldered to PCB. Toggles.

What I used.

Garden-variety output, I'd guess 4 A. max.