Dumb(?) Q

My wife says poppies can be grown from bulbs -- can they? Thanks Paul

Reply to
Paul Paulsen

Brian

Name a poppy that is bulbous.

Oriental poppies are tuberous rooted.

Reply to
Cereus-validus

Oh really, Brain?

You want to be an engineer on that genetic choo-choo train?

Maybe someday a man will walk on Uranus too?

Reply to
Cereus-validus

Reply to
Brian

Reply to
Brian

Don't be so quick to judge, Brian.

Maybe she knows something you don't? Did you ever consider that? Do you know the growth form of every species in the Papaveraceae?

Reply to
Cereus-validus
*lightblulb* Is THAT whats coming up in my garden??
Reply to
nina

Reply to
Brian

Not true that only monocots can be true bulbs.

There are a number of Oxalis that are true bulbs and some species of Dicentra fit the definition as well. There are probably more examples among the dicots.

The fruit of some poppy species are bulbous shaped but they are actually dehiscent capsules.

Reply to
Cereus-validus

Most named varieties are propagated by root cuttings, could be she's mistaken those for "bulbs." They're generally taken in the late summer when the poppies are dormant ..or as dormant as they get for you.

Don't feel too bad, some people call crocus and gladioli corms bulbs too.

Janice

Reply to
Janice