Dubai - Towering Inferno due to dangerous flammable siding

Page 2 of 3
On 1/4/2016 1:31 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

That does sound like a good possibility for the cause to me.
--
Maggie

snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc posted for all of us...

Sometimes the test results are last on the list; put behind other crimes. Sometimes it's not good policy to release details. Sometimes you don't want imply the victim was an asshole-like smoking with O2 on.
--
Tekkie

Muggles posted for all of us...

Not on the exterior. Sprinkler systems are to provide access to exits for life safety. One of the benefits is sometimes they put out the fire and/or drastically reduce extension. I forget what else I was going to expound upon...
--
Tekkie

On 1/3/2016 9:15 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Dubai has more money than brains. They have limited, codes, rules and laws in all areas. It is the most polluted region in the world. I would never visit that place.

The A-rab talks big, but you can't expect a bunch of ignorant peons to understand these things the way that our boys do.
The Dubai hotel was burning for 20 hours - and its steel did not "melt" and it didn't "collapse".
On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 14:36:38 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Which appears to be because the interior sprinkler system stopped the spread of the fire into the interior of the building. Otherwise we may have seen something similar to the collapse of the World Trade Center on 9/11. One of the WTC buildings that collapsed was taller than this Dubai building. A quick google search show the tallest WTC building at 1362 ft. This Dubai building is 1106 ft.
Personally, I have never seen why they make buildings that tall anyhow? If not a fire or explosion, an earthquake will eventually bring them down, and how many people will die, and other buildings destroyed in the process.
I wonder how much damage was done to the steel structure? Can they repair it, or must it be demolished now?
On Sunday, January 3, 2016 at 6:29:10 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Really? Here's a hint:
It starts with an M.
On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 15:49:36 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

For a cow, only one word starts with a "M"
MOOOOOOOOOO
On Sun, 03 Jan 2016 19:34:53 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Painted Cow, there's more to life than cows!

You must mean BULLS !!!
Paintedcow wrote: "Which appears to be because the interior sprinkler system stopped the spread of the fire into the interior of the building. Otherwise we may have seen something similar to the collapse of the World Trade Center on 9/11. One of the WTC buildings that collapsed was taller than this Dubai building. A quick google search show the tallest WTC building at 1362 ft. This Dubai building is 1106 ft.
Personally, I have never seen why they make buildings that tall anyhow? "
No we would not have. Neither the Dubai hotel nor the WTC could collapse because of fire. No matter how long it burned in either place.
On Tue, 5 Jan 2016 02:59:15 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

While the details of the WTC have always been suspicious, (and I dont want to get into that), I have to disagree with what you said. Steel beams twist and bend from excessive heat, and concrete cracks and even will explode in sections as it gets hot.
I saw the aftermath of a furniture store fire. A concrete building with steel beams for the roof, covered with metal. That roof was nothing but a mass of twisted steel, and half the walls collapsed as the roof came down. (this was just a one story building). Some of those support beams were probably 16" wide by 10" thick "I" beams. They twisted and deformed until they fell.
I've also seen what happens when chunks of concrete surround a large bonfire, and seen people hurt by flying pieces. Or when I was using a cutting torch and laid the torch on the driveway (that's a no-no).
If a tall structure has steel failure halfway up the building, and ur begins to lean, consider all that weight on top, and it WILL collapse in no time, and likely destroy the lower floors (below the fire) as the weight crashes down.
Red hot steel is more like a liquid than a solid. Anyone who has done any blacksmith work knows that for fact.
On 1/5/16 6:52 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

I did fire investigations for 10 years and it wasn't at all unusual (especially in industrial applications) for the steel I-beams get hot to weaken, bend and collapse. We had one that was a insulation factory and the fire load was largely newspapers.
Paintedcow, Kurt:
Hang out with Dick Cheney much?
On 1/5/2016 6:52 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Shortly after the twin towers collapse someone on Rush Limbaugh show mentioned that the buildings beams were not asbestos protected above some floor, can't remember which one. The enviro whackos had a protest. Had the beams been fire protected with asbestos, the building might have survived.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

HOW can you make such ABSURD ASSUMPTIONS about my feelings! You suck!
--
.
Christopher A. Young

The explanation I heard (over 50 years ago - but it still seem logical) is that there is a tradeoff between the cost of building/running elevators and the per-square-foot cost of real estate.
--
Pete Cresswell

The initial cost of putting up such buildings must be extremely high. Th higher they build, the more labor intensive it becomes and the stronger the foundation must be. Elevator cost is minimal compared to to building the structure. Apparently it must be cost effective, but it sure is hard to imagine how.