Battery life is not up to scratch

What is "up to scratch" mean? "the battery life on their device is not up to scratch"

Searching web pages for definition "is up to scratch" must be idiom.

It means "ready" to fight? How is battery ready to fight?

Reply to
Vlad Lescovitz

Did you even read the information at the link you provided?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Meeting the requirements. In fit condition.

They expected the battery to last longer than it does.

Ironically, the author of that article appears to be from India. I think of the expression as archaic. No one says it now. But maybe it was originally a British expression and thus became common Indian usage.

Reply to
Mayayana

I have used the alternative expression, up to snuff, on occasion.

Of course, I use some other "archaic" expressions on occasion also.

They're fun and they still fit.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

No.

It means up to par, of normally good quality.

Reply to
Micky

I agree. I have the feeling Americans don't use metaphors much anymore and that our language is boring.

Whoever counts the posts here: Could you count the metaphors too and let us know?

Reply to
Micky

An insightful thought, but no, not for me. I don't pay those furiners any mind. I don't think the others do either.

Reply to
Micky

I'd guess that's "not my job".

Metaphors and expressions are fun when both parties of the first and second part know what they mean. I've had more than a few which left me blank, as I didn't have the background to know what the heck that all meant.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

Ferget abbout it...