DTV delayed

Page 1 of 5
Looks like June now. In June people will still be floundering around.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090127/tv_nm/us_dtv_congress
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Senate passed a bill on Monday to delay the nationwide switch to digital TV signals, giving consumers nearly four more months to prepare.
The transition date would move to June 12 from February 17 under the bill that was fueled by worries that viewers are not technically ready for the congressionally-mandated switch-over.
It also would allow consumers with expired coupons, available from the government to offset the cost of a $40 converter box, to request new coupons. The government ran out of coupons earlier this month, and about 2.5 million Americans are on a waiting list for them.

Good news! I have an expired coupon;I was waiting for the $40 Echostar converter which never appeared before the cuopon expired.Now CompUSA is selling a DTV converter for $40.01,so with a coupon it's just the tax you have to pay,about $3.00
Thanks for the update,Ed.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Butt holes, if they put it off till the year 3001 some people still won't be ready. More lowest common denominator stuff.

Yep. One of the reasons given on the news was that the public wasn't given enough information about it.
Oh? Just how stupid is the "public" if a full year of being told about it isn't enough?
Harry K

Butt holes, if they put it off till the year 3001 some people still won't be ready. More lowest common denominator stuff.
======== So? Why do you care?
Cheri
Cheri wrote:

and why we are in the economic mess we are in. The red and blue teams do what their owners ask and no one even cares. Few seem to pay attention to anything beyond American idol or what "brittanny" is doing today.

So, does what Brittany is doing matter to you? Does it have an impact on your life? It has no bearing on my life, and neither does stalling DTV. I'm ready for the switch, have been for a long time, but it doesn't matter in my life if it happens in February or June, or not at all for that matter. As my mother used to say...if you just take care of your own business, you'll have plenty to do.
Cheri
Cheri wrote:

. As my mother used to say...if you just take care of your

Between the government and private industry they have spent a fortune in the past year advertising this changeover. Personally, I resent spending taxpayer money for this advertising. Saying this, the majority of Americans involved in this changeover responded and purchased their converter boxes. But because a small group of people chose to ignore the ads or were too lazy to do anything about it, why should the taxpayers and TV stations be burdened with extra cost to advertise it again for another 6 months? Do you think this same group of 'ignorers' will get the boxes in the next 6 months? Hell no. They'll wait till someone comes to their house, installs it for them at no cost to them but at significant cost to taxpayers.

Much of the government spending has been PSAs or other stuff that is pretty close to free. I also don't really view that as being taxpayer money since it is a very small part of the money the Feds made off of selling the returned frequencies. The converter box subsidy is a little much, though.

No,it's not. By Government's forced conversion to DTV,they took away my analog TV;if I didn't get a converter it would be useless,so the coupons are part compensation for that taking. IF the broadcasters had not been forced into the DTV conversion,my TVs would still be usable. Broadcasters would have never converted on their own.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Maybe.
Cheri wrote:

The cost and confusion.
Countless companies have made decisions predicated on a date certain and now the government is poised to muck it up.
* Many municipalities have contracted to switch over to new frequencies on Feb 18th and de-activate their existing emergency transmitters. Workers are poised to re-equip police cars, ambulances, and the like. Technicians have been hired and trained to accomplish the change-over on a specific date.
* Other companies are ready to market services using the freed-up bands. They won't be able to do so for three months. The payments on their loans for new equipment won't be delayed, but their anticipated revenue will be zero.
Bottom line: There is a significant cost to hundreds of companies and governmental agencies. Some emergency services may even go off the air as the people to whom a city sold their (supposedly redundant) equipment demand access to THEIR equipment.
Suppose I borrowed $10 million to buy the city of Chicago's police radios and in turn sold them all to the government of Costa Rico. The contract with Costa Rico specifies delivery by March 30th. I've contracted with technicans to disassemble and pack the existing equipment by March 1st, deliver it to a shipping company by March 3rd for transit on a ship that departs Chicago for Costa Rico on March 5th. I've already paid the city of Chicago for the equipment, paid salaries to the technicians, posted a deposit to the shipping company, etc.
Now the government says: "Time out?"
I'm screwed.
Effective commerce cannot efficiently exist based on governmental whim.

just provide some cites for the bands reuse, just a few will be fine.I challenge YOU
companies who did bid for the bands likely dont have the bucks to do anything given the economy right now....
cite where the local municipality is screwed.
it appears most frequencies were resold to cell phone companies.
the world wouldnt end if the analog continues for years, but all the homes loosing channels will still have TV:)
I have a converter, and satellite tv. got converter for emergencies, like a satellite failure
found out entire area has blinkouts / dropouts on many digital channels apparently some regional interference

it COSTS TV stations to operate and maintain TWO separate transmitter systems. Each consumes considerable electric power that costs the station money.
There also are companies waiting for their new spectrum space they have bought at auction.Time that they are NOT making money off their investment.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

It'd be nice to have all my local channels on their final assignments so that I could start testing antenna designs/locations...
I bet a lot of broadcasters are even more pissed and/or may take their analog stuff off in Feb. anyway to get it over with (and cut the expense of running xmitters on two different frequencies with the same programming)
nate
On 1/27/2009 1:58 PM N8N spake thus:

They can't do that legally, unless they want to forfeit their license. I'm sure the FCC would have a word or two to say about that if they did.
mostly pears.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

AFAICT, that's still the drop dead date until something is actually enacted to change it. The wording even from what I heard on the extension isn't absolute...
OK, here's the best I can seem to find quickly w/o going to find the actual legislative text (and it's none too good :( ). There's a wriggle room but this doesn't say what the reasons for the transition before June would be...
http://www.norwalkreflector.com/articles/2009/01/27/front/iq_673936.txt

You can cite a source that says the extension bill *requires* continued analog broadcasting until 12 June?
On Jan 27, 8:01pm, David Nebenzahl

Not so. We had one local CBS station that quit broadcasting analog Dec.1st and are now entirely digital.
They said prior to shutting down the analog signal that they expected to reach 90% of the OTA homes. Now they are saying they are going to reduce power in Feb. and expect to reach 85% of the homes. (Just the opposite of what people are saying about stations increasing power after the changeover.)
Red