drywall screws ok for subflooring

Am securing an OSB to a subflooring, will put cement board then tile on top. Am I ok using drywall screws to secure OSB to plywood (will also use construction adhesive)

Reply to
Jack

Coated ring nails are cheaper, and are intended for this purpose. You don't want something working loose.

Reply to
professorpaul

"Jack" wrote in news:1160677823.366237.37180 @h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

My pure GUESS is no. They are hardened and can snap with movement. That guess is based on a pro carpenter friend telling me to never use them to "sister" things that are suppose to flex like trusses.

Reply to
Al Bundy

No, not unless you're going to drill a pilot hole through the OSB for each screw. When screwing two pieces of wood together, it's important that the screw threads *not* bite into the first piece: that piece needs to be free to move along the screw so that the head can draw it tight against the second piece. That's why wood screws have a smooth shank. Otherwise, if the threads are biting into *both* pieces at once, the screw can actually hold them a short distance apart.

Use ring-shank nails.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Drywall screws are made for drywall. Anything else is a compromise at best, and possibly a disaster. Use the right screws. Not sure what to get?

Edwin Pawlowski

That's excellent advice....

Whoda thunk it?

Reply to
Phat Phuq

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:Y2wXg.9658$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

Yea, that too! :-)

Reply to
Al Bundy

Don't think you need to worry about that with OSB or chipboard over a denser material, but you still need a pilot hole in the subfloor (depending on what is used for the subfloor) and the only way to do that is to put one through OSB.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Isn't the obvious answer to use deck screws. But coarse drywall screws to hold OSB to plywood should work just fine. One would need to be careful not to strip the hole which would occur most of the time fore taking the head off the screw. That isn't true if the subfloor were solid wood.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

IMHO,

I've been a fan of deck screws. They bite into wood(aim instially for the joists then the field).

Just a guess, I don't do flooring except for DIYing.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

I used ring shanked nails when I put the floor in my cabin. Now years later you can see almost every one of them show under the tile. Wish I had used screws instead.

Bob

Reply to
Bob