drywall screws ok for subflooring

Am securing an OSB to a subflooring, will put cement board then tile on top. Am I ok using drywall screws to secure OSB to plywood (will also use construction adhesive)
Coated ring nails are cheaper, and are intended for this purpose. You don't want something working loose.

My pure GUESS is no. They are hardened and can snap with movement. That guess is based on a pro carpenter friend telling me to never use them to "sister" things that are suppose to flex like trusses.

No, not unless you're going to drill a pilot hole through the OSB for each screw. When screwing two pieces of wood together, it's important that the screw threads *not* bite into the first piece: that piece needs to be free to move along the screw so that the head can draw it tight against the second piece. That's why wood screws have a smooth shank. Otherwise, if the threads are biting into *both* pieces at once, the screw can actually hold them a short distance apart.
Use ring-shank nails.
--
Regards,

Yea, that too! :-)
Doug Miller wrote:

Don't think you need to worry about that with OSB or chipboard over a denser material, but you still need a pilot hole in the subfloor (depending on what is used for the subfloor) and the only way to do that is to put one through OSB.

Doug Miller wrote:

I used ring shanked nails when I put the floor in my cabin. Now years later you can see almost every one of them show under the tile. Wish I had used screws instead.
Bob

Drywall screws are made for drywall. Anything else is a compromise at best, and possibly a disaster. Use the right screws. Not sure what to get? www.mcfeeleys.com
That's excellent advice....
http://www.mcfeelys.com/tech/subfloor.asp
Whoda thunk it?

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Isn't the obvious answer to use deck screws. But coarse drywall screws to hold OSB to plywood should work just fine. One would need to be careful not to strip the hole which would occur most of the time fore taking the head off the screw. That isn't true if the subfloor were solid wood.

IMHO,
I've been a fan of deck screws. They bite into wood(aim instially for the joists then the field).
Just a guess, I don't do flooring except for DIYing.
later,
tom @ www.BlankHelp.com