Drywall repair

I just installed a closet door frame and door. While nailing part of the frame in the upper right corner, a piece of drywall broke away. The size is about 5" vertical by 2" wide in a cone/funnel shape which left about a 1.5" base right to the stud where the frame is nailed. The piece came out as a whole (minus a few little chips here and there). Therefore, what would be best to repair.....apply a little compound and put the piece back in then compound the rest on top followed by the normal procedure of drying, sanding, painting, etc. OR just fill in the entire area with compound followed by the normal procedure?
Any other input appreciated.
Thank you

I would screw it back into place with no more than 2 screws, tape and mud with setting compound and be ready to paint on the second day.
Start early, use 20 minute mud and latex paint you can do it all in one day. Cheating but it will work.

Ought to note that quick muds don't sand well at all once dry.

There are some easy sand setting products on the market. Durobond does not sand at all. :)
For a job that small the guy would have to be a real newbie if it needed sanding.

We all were once. I was born with a fear of fire and the skill to shit my pants:-)
You could do it either way I guess but drywall tape should be used to give it more strength..Nail or screw the piece if You re-use it.. Dean