Drywall & Receptacles

Page 1 of 2
I bought a house, a real fixer-upper :) One problem is that a lot of the holes cut in the drywall to fit around the receptacles are too large, so that the fins on the plug don't catch - it just keeps going till it's flush with the box, which of course if flush with the stud. So, the plug sits about 1/2 inch too deep.
What are some methods for fixing this? The best way I could think of is to buy some longer screws, and some small, thick washers. Any suggestions?
You can use washers or spacers, and metal painted or brass plates to help support the outlets

Buy longer screws. I have never tried to buy any, but what we used on the job was some very small diameter pneumatic tubing cut to length for the spacers.
You should also consider getting some insulated gaskets for the outlets. Using them on the outer walls are great power savers.

I've seen some blue work boxes that had fingers on two ends that had to be an inch long.
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
Caddy makes something for this: http://www.erico.com/products/CADDYcfcDvcLvlrRetnr.asp You will probably have to go to an electrical supply company to get them. Make sure that you have the part number.
You could also try using oversized metal wall plates to provide support.
I have used 6/32 hex nuts behind the device strap to keep the device from being pushed back. I have also seen other electricians use a piece of solid #14 or #12 copper wire coiled around the screw.

I forgot to mention box extenders: http://www.aifittings.com/m_9.htm

I think this is the best solution - there's just one nut, no worrying about 3-4 washers; it attaches the outlet solidly to the box which is itself attached to the stud, so everything is robust; and if the box is metal, the outlet or switch body is solidly grounded.

something between the device and any combustible materials, in case of sparking. I agree, a fire actually starting that way is a one-in-a-million shot, but when it comes time to sell, if the inspector actually pulls that particular outlet cover, you;ll have to redo it anyway. As cheap as extension rings are, may as well do it that way in the first place.
aem sends...

Just so you know, I do plan to use the box extenders. I do like to follow code just to avoid problems in the future.
says...

Well, the first problem is that the boxes are not installed correctly. They are not supposed to be flush with the stud, they are supposed to stick out 1/2" and be flush with the drywall. The mounting strap on the receptacles should rest on the box and the drywall at the same time.
--
Dennis

On 1 Jun, 17:57, snipped-for-privacy@SPAMwowway.com (DT) wrote:

correctly. They are -- not supposed to be flush with the stud, they are supposed to stick out 1/2" and -- be flush with the drywall. The mounting strap on the receptacles should rest on -- the box and the drywall at the same time.
Paraphrasing Sam Torrance, and said with my best Scottish accent, "Useful post that, useful."
Kitep wrote:

I swear I saw metal support plates for just this problem in the dale electric catalog but I can't seem to come up with the right combination of search terms to find you a link to their web site. I was going to order a couple next time I had to order any electrical supplies and I haven't had to order anything in a while.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

found what I was thinking of
http://dale-electric.com/search.php?itemnumber=&manufacturer=&keywords vice+leveler+retai&category=&resultsPerPage%
does this help?
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

http://dale-electric.com/search.php?itemnumber=&manufacturer=&keywords vice+leveler+retai&category=&resultsPerPage%
wants, and I'm suprised nobody mentioned it, since they are discussed on here regularly, are box extension rings. All the big-boxes carry them, 2-packs for about three bucks. Usually plastic these days. I had to install several here, because previous owner was an idiot, and didn't reposition boxes when he added T&G in living room and rocked garage, badly. Code does NOT allow just using standoffs or washers- no flammable materials can face the installed device.
aem sends.....
aemeijers wrote:

Nope, I know what you're thinking of...
http://minerallac.com/minerallac%20catalog.pdf
this actually is intended for just this application. I need some because the plaster in my walls is busted away around some receptacles just around the plaster ears for some reason. scroll down to pages 27 and 155 and you'll see what I mean.
Oddly enough, the Madison hangers are on the very previous pages of the catalog :)
nate
dammit, ya made me look :)
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Something an electrician always has:
Strip some #12 solid. Wrap it around your Phillips screwdriver in a tight coil. Slide it off the screwdriver. Cut the coils to the appropriate length, and slide the recep screw through the coil. Yes, you may need a longer screw.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

store and go the isle of the electrical section where all the electrical doodads in little plastic bags are hung on hooks. You know, where the wirenuts are. There you will find stackable green plastic spacers made just for this. They're aout 1/16 inch think and have interlocking snaps to stack them up as thick as you want.
dickm

As luck would have it, before I posted my question I did go to that very aisle looking for something just like that. I obviously missed it, just like I missed the box extenders when I was in the box aisle. I think I was seriously distracted by the store closing in 5 minutes and needing to get a few other things that I knew for sure existed (which is also why I didn't track down somebody to ask). I'm looking forward to finding the things I missed next time I go there.
I just referbed (sp?) a 1907 and rewired completely. A lot of the outlets and switches had been spaced out with short pieces of some sort of 3/16" rubber hose product. Seems to have worked pretty well. As you mentioned, you'll (possibly) need longer screws.
--
Steve Barker