Stay in smaller house in nice area OR buy large fixer upper in remote woods

So my husband has experience with fixing up his grandmas house which we live in now. For years I just didn't like the house 1023sq (2bd, 1 bath, unusable garage, on a busy street) we have a toddler son and we are also running out of room to put things. Collection of sheds to put our things. But we live in a nice small community on the shoreline w/ A+ schools. We found a fixer upper 40min in the deep woods w/9acres it's 4bd 2car garage. It's a big house 3000sq and cost less than our house now. My husband wants it and to fix it. Getting an inspection soon. I'm nervous about it living here, there is nothing to do and the schools are decent. So it's either pay more for our small cramped house in a desired area or buy bigger cheaper house in remote area

Reply to
Lindsey

It's a matter of personal preference. I suggest a list of pros and cons to help your decision making.

I'm often mixed on a decision to move to a more rural area. I hate the idiots on the road in most urban settings yet I like that fact I can take a short drive to most retail businesses. Yet, I think I could never live in a rural area due to the required driving to retail businesses yet could enjoy the serenity of the area and part of me thinks it would be great to have a larger home with more space to build a shop and hold all my toys along with cheaper taxes, mortgage, etc.

Reply to
Meanie

Is there a question in there? You know this ain't facebook.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Aw, come on Oren, I know you care as much as I do -- maybe more.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Damn , nearly gagged on that one . And I care less than either of you .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

LOL!

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Both have good and bad points. Your house is, IMO, bare minimum for a small family but it can be done and had been done,

Bigger house is nice, but how far is deep in the woods? I don't mind a drive to get a loaf of bread, when i worked it was 24 miles. For me not a big deal but not everyone can handle it.

Bigger house = bigger heating bills too so be sure to factor all of that. If I found it affordable, I'd go for it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Blizzards??

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

There is nothing more important than your child's education. Because I took an active role in making sure my daughter was enrolled in good school systems my kid got a good education and a good job and has been quite independent . Heck, she earns way more than I ever did. You will not regret any sacrifice your make for your kids education.

I suggest staying where you are for now but let your husband fix up the second home. When it's all fixed up, sell it and the small place you have now and buy another home in the same area where the schools are good.

Chances are you will make money on the deal.

I agree that a 1000 square ft house is a bit too small but a 3000 sq ft. house might be larger than you need and certainly cost more to heat.

Somewhere around 2000 sq ft may be ideal.

Reply to
philo

On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 17:44:03 GMT, Lindsey wrote in

Go for the bigger house in the rural area. It's a better way to raise kids. We did the same thing 30 years ago and never regretted it.

Don't worry about the schools. If your kids are smart and you are diligent about their learning, the school won't matter.

Reply to
CRNG

She should move to South side Chicago. Many opportunities there. She could become a community organizer, which is really tough in a rural area.

Reply to
Tekkie?