Drywall question

I'm doing some drywall in my basement. I've got the first coat of mud and tape on and ready for a sand. I used a General purpose Joint compound for this coat. Someone suggesting I change to a "Light duty" compound for subsequent coats. Drying time is not really an issue so is there another benefit to buying a whole new bucket of a different kind? Will I get a better result? Or do i Just go ahead and use the plenty of extra I have of th GP?

Thanks.

Reply to
BACcontra91

Topping or as you say "Light duty" compounds are usually easier to sand. If your technique is good and you're not putting on huge gobs of mud that you then need to sand off, go with what you've got.

You should aim to only have to sand the final coat anyway.

You'll know after you sand what you've got ;-)

Paul Frankl>I'm doing some drywall in my basement. I've got the first coat of mud and

Reply to
Paul Franklin

That is light, not light duty. I find it easier to work with. I believe it is a personal choice.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

instead of sanding the 1st coat. use a 6" knife to scrape off all the nubs. you only sand the (last) 3rd coat.

No, other than faster drying time.

No, the results are the same.

use what you have. the compound with "plus 3" is the same but dries much quicker.

Reply to
Genemy