Drywall

Page 1 of 2

If I were to put drywall in my garage, then cover with the pre painted water resistant 1/8 inch boards at Lowes, would the tapered ends of the drywall be visable? I am debating going with OSB under those or drywall.

You could stagger the 1/8" so that the drywall ends are under the middle of the 1/8" boards.

Would OSb instead be acceptable? This is a detached garage/shop.

There has been a lot of debate about that in another thread. OSB burns pretty readily. OSB is also difficult to finish as it's surface can flake off.
I am building a garage and would also like something less fragile than drywall as a wall covering. But so far I have not found any drywall alternatives that are price competitive and somewhat fire resistant. If you figure something out I'd like to hear about it.

My idea would be to glue these white painted 1/8 panels to the osb. WOuld this work?

I don't see why it wouldn't work. It's not what I would do. Install the first layer of covering starting at one end. You will need to cut the last sheet vertically to make it fit. Then start at that end and add your 1/8" going back in the other direction. This will offset your seams. Frankly I'd also go with the drywall as I see no advantage to the osb since you are covering it with something harder. You could even save some by using the 3/8" drywall.

Do your garage in 5/8" drywall and you meet fire codes in some areas. That thickness is not really 'fragile' unless you run your Escalade into it full tilt. Finish off with those trick hanger panels for tools and such and it will look rather nice. Plan on an epoxy floor finish and you'll be one happy camper.
Joe

Thing is I am not crazy about mudding the drywall

What does that mean? Do you not trust your taping skills? Not sure of your construction, but if you run the boards vertically, and use long enough boards, you'll only have to tape the tapered edges abutting - piece of cake.

Afraid it will look bad and take forever. It is 30x30 with 10 feet ceilings. I would have a few butt joints but not many.

In a garage can I put just enough compound to cover the mesh tape and it look ok? (It is a garage, not livign space). I would paint the walls maybe semi gloss white thoguh for light.
stryped wrote:

Gloss, or semi gloss will accentuate every tiny imperfection. Use flat.

With 10ft ceilings, why not sheetrock above and some thing more gouge- resistant around the bottom 4 - 6 feet?
Tony wrote:

It's a garage, who cares? Flat is a bitch to clean, semi or gloss isn't.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

Agreed, but I thought the OP was concerned about how his tape and spackle job looks. I'm doing my garage also... when in the mood. I just looked at it today and realized my ceiling should look good since the fluorescent fixtures are hanging down about 1 foot. My last garage had the lights up on the ceiling which also makes imperfections stand out.

Yep, one coat is fine. Like I said earlier, if you run the 10' boards vertically, you won't have any but joints and the tapered joints are the easiest part. They're almost hard to mess up.
Look at this another way - a garage is the perfect place to practice your taping skills, so when the opportunity arises inside the house, you'll be ready.
There are pluses and minuses to any wall covering, but drywall is the easiest to repair if it does get dinged. If you expect the walls to take abuse, 4' high paneling over the drywall would be the ticket.

Wont there be butt joints at the corners?

Nope. There'll be corners at the corners, not butt joints. You'll have taped inside corners, and corner-beaded outside corners (if there are any in your garage). Butt joints are non-tapered edges meeting on a flat wall. The corners are just as easy to do as the tapered edges if you have an inside corner taping tool. They're cheap, too, and well worth the money.
RicodJour wrote:

I just bought a stainless corner taper thing for the same thing, finishing off a garage. This is my second attempt at tape and spackle and with what I learned since the first job, this one is going much better. And yes I got 10' rock for the 9' 4" walls and am hanging it vertically. I'm finishing the first phase of the job now and I think I'm doing a lot better than the first time. (the garage is half full of stuff already so I'm doing about 1/3rd at a time. When this is finished I move stuff to the newly finished wall and start on the middle.) I bought a drywall lift new for $200. Best $200 I've ever spent! The ceiling is actually easier than the walls! When I'm finished, I'll sell it for $250. ;-)

Why not just put up T1-11?