Dryer vents and gas meters...

Page 2 of 3

.com:
It's that liberal vs conservative thing. We conservatives smell gas and being real men, we grab a wrench and go shut it off ourselves. The liberals they look to call the govt to come take care of it for them.

More "proof" that I'm not a liberal according to your definitions <grin>. If I smell a little gas I'll go and investigate. Sometimes with a wrench, but usually first just to turn off the valve(s). If I were to hear a woosh and smell lots of gas (or the oher way around) I'll run and scream, then call 911. But maybe I'm too subtle and subjective <grin again>.
--
Best regards
Han
On 3/12/2012 12:01 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

So what wrench would you have used to remove the security cap they have on the stop out at the curb and then once you did what wrench would you have used to shut off the gas valve?
He probably already owns four of them, left over from his last job.

So what wrench would you have used to remove the security cap they have on the stop out at the curb and then once you did what wrench would you have used to shut off the gas valve?
Liberals will follow that up, by demanding a new law that prohibits leaks. Or raises taxes to pay for a community leak fixing program, that's no charge to callers. Bilingual avertisements, with Spanish speaking operators standing by.
http://translation.babylon.com/english/to-spanish / Los Liberales seguimiento a esta cuestin, exigiendo una nueva ley que prohbe las filtraciones. O aumenta los impuestos a pagar por la comunidad fuga fijacin del programa, que sin cargo alguno para las personas que llaman. Cuando se trate bilinge espaol-ingls, con los operadores impasibles.
Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . Christobal A. Los jvenes aprenden ms acerca de Jess http://www.lds.org/?lang=spa . .
It's that liberal vs conservative thing. We conservatives smell gas and being real men, we grab a wrench and go shut it off ourselves. The liberals they look to call the govt to come take care of it for them.
On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 19:54:30 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

After all, gas leaks aren't fair, and are most likely *RACIST*.
Of course, the gas pipe was heading towards a bit leak, under Bush?

It's Obama's fault.

Don't know about the leaks, but the prices certainly are.

For the time being.
One nice thing about the government is that it is slow.
The implementation of "fracking" on a significant scale to release natural gas is just a few years old. In the fullness of time, I calculate, the EPA will release regulations that significantly and adversely affect the process.
An excellent article on the subject of "fracking" was posted today. Here it is:
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/293086/truth-about-fracking-kevin-d-williamson?pg=1
A point to ponder: Natural gas is lighter than oil. Oil is lighter than water. Water is lighter than (most) rock. So why haven't the oil and gas risen to the surface in millions of years?
Because the oil and gas are separated from the surface by thousands of feet of impermeable rock.

I believe the technical term is "hydraulic fracturing".

Could be. The frackers would frack up a wet dream.

The frackin' rocks...
Oren wrote:

You may be right. I did put the term in scare quotes.
(Scare quotes are quotation marks placed around a word or phrase to indicate that it does not signify its literal or conventional meaning.)

No matter what you call it, the frigging "fracking"* process is fine by itself. The problem with winning gas through fracking is substandard executing of process of lining the well with impervious materials (piping, concrete liners, whatever), so that the not so nice fracking fluids and/or gas winnings don't go where they shouldn't. Plus the fact that regulations to dispose of the used fluids, and obtaining clear water are not always explicit enough, or adhered to, due to fragmented local rules and regulations (especially in PA).
Another problem with fracking is that the contracts for same are often signed by landowners who don't quite understand what they are signing. That means at times the local landowner isn't getting the royalties they think they are entitled to, because of the contract language; it means that at times the noise and inconvenience of trucks and machinery isn't disclosed; and that the local roads get damaged at the expense of local landowner/community.
The last problem will be that methane is a 20x or so worse greenhouse gas than CO2. That means that none should be wasted/vented, and apparently that may be a costly thing to prevent.
I'd be much in favor of fracking if those concerns were consistently and appropriately addressed. Perhaps the NY state regulations will be sufficient, if and when they go into effect.
*Note use of scare quotes!!
--
Best regards
Han
On 3/11/2012 5:34 PM, Han wrote:

Our gas company just comes out, shuts off your service and red tags it. They do not make repairs inside your house. The homeowner is required to get a licensed plumber to repair the leak. Then your gas piping system has to pass an 8 hour air leak test by the city. Then, and only then, will the slow-as-molasses municipal inspector issues a permit to turn the gas back on. A simple leak could easily take 24-72 hours to get resolved.
So I have a ball shut-off valve on my side of the gas meter. If I smell gas, I'll shut the valve off while I locate and repair the leak. Getting the authorities involved would be an absolute last resort.

Now that's a Man!!
--
Best regards
Han

Here how to look at it: if there was a Gas leaks, and the Gas go into the Vent, when the dryer is off..
Look like it would be a good way to end of life of, your dryer, wife, or home all at one time, would you say:::::::
So move it, you ask "hoe" ;)
--
This post contains IPA phonetic symbols in Unicode.
Without proper rendering support,

Why should he move the dryer vent, which is 3 ft away from the gas meter when the house has plenty of gas piping and eqpt INSIDE the house? There are plenty of homes where the gas meter is actually INSIDE the house. Also, if you look around you will find lots of houses where the gas meter is a similar distance from a window that can be opened. My own house is one of them.
The risk from what he has from a safety standpoint is minimal. The real issue to me would be how accessible the meter is, ie can he get to it to shut it off if necessary and can the gas company get to it for reading, service, etc. If it's been that way for awhile and the gas company isn't bitching, I probably would not start asking questions.

I agree. My gas meter is inside, above the gas dryer. Licensed plumbers have never raised any questions, and the PSE&G meter readers still have to come inside to read the meter, and have also never asked a question.
--
Best regards
Han

Our 1960 house had meter in garage. I had gas line installed in new, old house. They want to see the meter in line with the street valve.
Greg
And, you probably don't keep the butter in the "BUTTER" compartment in your refrig?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 3/12/2012 7:49 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I wonder if it's an affliction of those Liberal sissies who live in union controlled states where you have to belong to a union before you can pick up a tool and touch anything electrical, plumbing or utility service without that card and diploma from a union trade school? No H.I.S.I. fits from the P.L.L.C.F. please, I'm chain yanking. ^_^
TDD