dryer vent question

Hello
Is it OK to vent a dryer vertically into an attic crawl space instead of horizontally thru an exterior wall to the outside? - paul
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:57:29 +0000, Paul Oman wrote:

Assuming you go all the way up through the attic, and exhaust on the exterior of the house (roof), yes. I don't think it's a good idea to vent into the attic space.
Linux Registered User #327951
Agreed

Paul Oman wrote:

Generally I would say no. There may be some exceptions where that craw space is vented a lot better than most and you live in a dry environment. Otherwise, you are going to add moisture to an area you want to keep as dry as possible. Vent to the outside. I might add that you would also be depositing lint down there.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Anywhere you vent, you have to make sure that the vent pipe is not only sealed against leaks of hot humid air into any other space, but also that the vent duct is insulated so as not to heat up the attic.
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Also, there will be an accumulation of lint in the hose, which will not be pushed all the way up to the outlet, causing a fire hazard.

there is NO good reason to vent the dryer in the attic no matter what.
it may not immediately destroy your house, but there is still no good reason to do it.
randy
Hi,

And stopping without going outside??
Nope.

Go outside! Is the dryer electric, gas? Gas must be vented outside, there are indoor vent kits for electric dryers but they have a tendacy to be messy and add moisture where you don't want it :(
Paul Oman wrote:

Then you'll have dirt(lint) and moisture problem over time. When hot air cools it becomes wet. >>>> Messy! Tony
If you want a mold problem. -Dave
In addition to moisture and mould in the attic, if you live in a cold climate there's a chance venting into the attic could cause ice dams in the winter. It's possible the heat would be enough to melt snow on the roof, only to have it re-freeze, causing dams and more damage than you'd ever want to face.

funny I didn't see anyone ask this. What are the manufacturers instructions. I'm guessing once you read them, you will have your answer.
later,
tom @ www.workathomeplans.com