Dryer vent flange

I'm installing a dryer vent in my laundry room. I already have the opening for the 4" duct through the joist and outside brick.
My problem is...In several houses I've seen, the piece of duct that goes through the wall to the outside has a nice flange (or collar) on the inside that's fastened to the joist. I have not been able to find this piece anywhere!
Home Depot and Lowes have the outside vent with a section of duct, but this seems flimsy that it's only attached to the vent and not to the joist.
Mike

The nice pretty inside flange comes or came with some brands and not others. I have not gotten one with the last couple I have purchased.
You can get a galvanized metal wall flange for 4" single wall pipe at any place that sells a full line of HVAC materials. It will be 7- 8" circle with a 4" hole in the middle.
And those flimsy ones with the plastic louvers are only going to last about 6 years in afternoon sun.
Colbyt
Colbyt wrote:

That's because your house is built wrong. My flimsy one is going on 10-12 years (with no damage) but it is on the north side.
I can't understand what the problem is. The flimsy flange with plastic louvers screws to the siding and will probably last longer than the dryer stays unmoved for repair, exchange, cleaning, painting or whatever.
The problem, as I see it, is that the duct that goes through the joist is fastened on the outside to the vent hood and on the inside to the 90 degree bend duct. It isn't solidly attached to the vent hood so if you should bump the duct on the inside...it comes loose from the hood.
upand_at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

If you've got a compass, sabre saw or a jugsaw you can make your own out of a piece of 1/4" plywood quicker than you can say Jill Robinson. Paint optional.
HTH,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia