dryer runs with fuses off

So I was going to open the back of the dryer to remove any lint pile ups and while the dryer was running, I turn the

2x30 amp fuses off. I did that to see if the fuses were doing their job. However, the dryer kept turning. Next weekend I will go thru it with my amprobe and dmm. In the meantime, would appreciate inputs re: related experiences. Thank you. joe.
Reply to
joe

I have seen some really weird (and dangerous) fusebox wiring jobs. One of these appeared to have a main cut-off to the house, yet to cut off power to everything, you had to remove all the fuses from three different fuse boxes.

And old fuseboxes will be by-passed with new circuit breakers, yet they leave the old fusebox in place - sometimes live - sometimes disconnected.

These are dangerous situations since someone may think power is off when it is not off. May want to consider upgrading to one breaker panel and removing the old fusebox(s).

Reply to
Bill

Well while it is possible the breaker(s) (fuses) are bad; I guess is you either picked the wrong breaker(s) or you got some serious problems with the way your dryer, and likely other things, are wired in your home. It sounds like an unsafe condition, and could be a fire hazard.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Hi,

Wrong fuses? Electric water heater fuses, a/c fuses, cooktop fuses?

Maybe remove the fuse box cover and follow the dryers cable right into the box to see what ones are correct for the dryer.

?Gas? dryer now and no one disconnected the old electric dryers fuses....L O N G shot!! ;)

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Joe:

J > So I was going to open the back of the dryer to remove any J > lint pile ups and while the dryer was running, I turn the J > 2x30 amp fuses off. I did that to see if the fuses were J > doing their job. However, the dryer kept turning. J > Next weekend I will go thru it with my amprobe and dmm. J > In the meantime, would appreciate inputs re: related J > experiences.

I'm going to ask a really stupid question: the dryer is electric, not gas, right? Electric would run off 220, gas off 120.

If and electric dryer, is there a second ganged circuit breaker? Maybe the first one was for the air conditioner or electric range.

  • Montana motto: Where men are men and sheep are scared...
Reply to
barry martin

Obviously, you have one of the few "no power required" dryers - lucky you. Only a few (17, I think) were made, and then the power companies bought the patent and destroyed the secrect.

Hold onto that dryer. Not only does it save electricity but is a collector's item worth perhaps as much as $25.00. \

Reply to
Bob