dryer heats up and turns off

Old gas maytag dryer heats for 10 mins and shouts off, cloths are hot but not dry, after it cools down i can start it again. The dryer is a good dryer

This is a WAG. Make sure your exhaust is clean. The lint trap, hose, & vent. This is a major cause of fires each year.
I think Cooper hit it on the head. There is a switch which will shut it down if it overheats, and often this happens when the exhaust is clogged and the air can't get out

snipped-for-privacy@1STPLACEmedia.COM wrote:

Hi,
Model# is ?
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
Some model# helps.

What shuts off?.....the whole dryer, just the heat??

The whole dryer quits and needs cooling down time?...if yes, possible the motor is covered with lint and shutting off on it's built in safety/thermal switch.
Always clean/check/adjust the venting system and vent hood as well!! jeff. Appliance Repair Aid http://www.applianceaid.com /

Are there some (new) dryers that are better than others, at blowing-out the lint? If so, what sort of specs would we be looking for? Or, is there a particular make/model that's best at keeping the venting system blown clean?
Thanks for any tips about this. Our venting system has a 90-degree turn, and cleaning it involves squeezing into a crawl space to partially dismantle it, then blasting it out with a leaf-blower -- a nasty chore.
Ted Kerin wrote:

Hi,
Nope. Dryer vents are possible getting worse and worse with larger drums, more air flow required and lower heat temps on modern dryers. I added a second screen in the duct ( home made ) to help trap some of the lint that got past the lint filter inside the dryer, but this must be cleaned at the same time as the dryer one is. Maytag and Whirlpool seem to some of the strongest air moves for dryer made today. Shortest vent with the least amount of elbows is still the best cure for preventing build up's inside the venting system.
http://www.applianceaid.com/images/venting%20a%20dryer.JPG

The leaf blower works well to help flush it out. Some dryer brushs work good as well.
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&NB4662 http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&NB4663 jeff. Appliance Repair Aid http://www.applianceaid.com /
Thanks for your reply, and for the helpful info, Jeff!