Dryer eating clothes!!???!!

My front loading dryer is about 5 years old but has been heavily used. It has started to pull clothes up into the gap between the drum and the front panel. This is combined with the fact that the felt seal around the front panel on the inside has lost a chunk of felt towards the inside of the dryer, so that the clothes that get pulled up end up getting rubbed until there is a hole worn in them. Needless to say my wife is not happy about this and wants to buy a new dryer. I contend that this may be fixable (by me). So my questions are:

  1. How can I close the gap between the drum and the front panel so that the clothes do not get stuck in there and/or
  2. How can I replace the felt seal around the front panel - it appears to be glued on and the plastic tabs all broke off. Thanks for any help you can provide to save me some dough! Thanks Bob
Reply to
KnobCourt

Let here buy a new one. Dryers aren't that expensive. The other alternative is for you to take over doing all of the laundry.

RB

KnobCourt wrote:

Reply to
RB

This is very much like an older car, is it worth spending money to keep it running over and over. And that is a decision only you can make. But, to quote a recently famous person............Dr. Phil, "If Momma is happy, everyone is happy". Buy the dryer, but don't make it a birthday, anniversary, etc. type present.

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock

Hi,

Possible the front support glides or such are worn down enough and the drum has shifted pinching the clothes.

Take apart and access inf owould depend on make, model#....

model# helps.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

you can buy the felt seals, the plastic shroud(sp???) and a tube a special glue(cost about $20 for the glue).. and repair the thing... then it wont catch the clothes....

Reply to
jim

I've always found at least one friendly appliance repair / parts shop in every city. If you bring the make, model and serial number with you and explain the problem there are often repair kits available. Other than your machine is five years old there isn't much to go on, but there are replacement bearing, glides and seals to solve your problem. If local doesn't work try

.

Happy modeming, Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill

-snip-

First you price the felt & rollers. [and a belt and tensioner while you have it apart] Ask the guy at the parts place what else is about to go on *your* make/model. Mine saved me a trip one time when he suggested I get the squirrel cage fan- $10 & it was shot, but I hadn't checked it because my old dryer had a different, more durable fan]

Then price the parts + the time- including chasing parts + the disapproving looks from the Mrs. + the difference in energy usage of your old dryer vs a new one.

Against that figure, price a new dryer, less a days labor, less the energy savings. Tell your wife you're considering a new dryer & ask what she'll throw in to sweeten the pot.

I'll bet you get the new one.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Jim, you're a dog.............a wise lecherous dog.......I think I like you.

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock

NO, You got to go inside the dryer when she drys the clothes. Stay in there and dont allow any clothes to get eaten. When you see something getting sucked up that hole, just pull it back.....

Reply to
me

A new dryer, or a new wife?

Reply to
me

Considering the cost of clothes today, you could easily have at least $500 to $1000 worth of clothing at risk every time your dryer is used.

Unless you know exactly what to do, and apparently you don't, buy a new dryer.

Reply to
Hound Dog

Find the cause and correct it. The most likely possibilities are worn drum rollers or drum slides allowing the drum to sit too low, if the missing piece of felt seal isn't the problem itself. None should be major items to purchase.

It depends on the make and model of the dryer and how the replacement part(s) is sold. It may come already fastened to the plastic or be separate and need to be glued in place. The adhesive may be included with the replacement seal or have to be purchased separately.

You can read about what information is needed to get replacement parts for your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my site linked below.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

It sounds to me like you are calling him an idiot (or worse). How would you like it if someone called YOU an idiot (or worse)? You ought to be ashamed of yourself for judging someone you dont even know, and abusing their mental state of mind. It's no wonder this world has wars and killings. It's people like yourself who piss off others that cause all the violence in the world.

Do you think Christ would have judged another human being like you just did? After all, it's Christmas. Once again, shame on you !!!! You should strive for peace and harmony in this world, but instead you have only asserted your anger and created a state of hatred. Are you proud of yourself, and you lack of concern for a fellow human being? I surely hope not !!!!

As far as buying a new dryer, what if he cant afford a new dryer?

Not everyone is a wealthy moron prick like yourself !!!!!!

Reply to
jesuschrist

In his post it was apparent he did not know what to do. I did NOT call him any names. ( Something you seem to like to do.)

As far as affording to buy a new dryer, it will probably cost him more buying new clothes to replace the ones destroyed in his old dryer than it would to buy a new dryer.

I suggest you spend a lot more time in church and much less time on the computer. You may also want to spend some time taking a reading class.

Reply to
Hound Dog

I don't know why you assume that my wife does the laundry...that's pretty sexist if you ask me.

Reply to
KnobCourt

Holy Cow, I don't think I have ever owned $500-$1000 worth of clothes collectively in my entire life...I shop at Wal Mart and thrift stores...which is why I need to repair my dryer instead of buying a new one... Why are rich people always so mean???

Reply to
KnobCourt

stores...which

Ask your wife what she has to spend on clothes, I think you are in for a rude awakening.

Reply to
Hound Dog

in article KOqdna snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, Hound Dog at snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote on 12/28/03 8:02 PM:

we are not rich. when our dryer started doing that we replaced the dryer. we called a repairman and he said the cost would probably be over 200.00 and we would still have a 7 year old dryer.

Reply to
charlie

You can buy a new dryer for like 200-300 at Kmart or Sears, they really are not that expensive. Or Go to a rent a center or Arron's. They have used dryers that are in great condition and very affordable. They will also let you make payments with no credit check, they have a 90 days same as cash deal.

Reply to
Me