Drill Chuck removal. B&D/Jacobs.

Have a B&D DR402 Hammerdrill (reversible). Needs keyless chuck. I think the point I need made clear for me is this: The screw is Reverse thread (LH thread), right? And you remove it with whatever tools fits the head (flathead, phillips, etc), right? And THEN you do the 1/4"-3/8" Allen wrench trick with the hammer counterclockwise because there is a second set of threads involved here, right? Those of the chuck itself. Chuck screws on shaft normally then screw/bolt goes in reverse thread.
Didi i get that right? Never had it spelled out explicitly.
Kevin
You have it.
New install. There is a male thread coming out the nose of the drill, it is fairly large with a small female threaded hole in the center. Screw on the female thread of the chuck onto the male drill thread (right hand thread). With the jaws of the chuck wide open, screw the "locking" bolt into the female threads of the drill shaft (left hand thread). The locking bolt may have Phillips, straight, torx, or Allen drive
The large Allen wrench deal is only used to jar the chuck threads loose after the locking bolt has been removed. The Allen wrench is used as there is NO easy, non-destructive way to hold the drill armature stationary for the removal. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ DanG A live Singing Valentine quartet, a sophisticated and elegant way to say I LOVE YOU! snipped-for-privacy@okchorale.org (local) http://www.singingvalentines.com/ (national)

Nice! Thanks D. That spells it out. Now I know. Now to find out if my DR402 Type 3 needs a 20 or 24 thread chuck. Anyone? Kevin
3/8 capacity by 24
1/2 capacity by 20
--