Drill bit for porcelan tiles?

I need to drill 1/4" holes into existing floor tiles. I've seen large carbide bits but they seem to be more for drilling shower holes for fixtures.
Could I use a masonry bit? Any way to prevent the hand drill from sliding around?
Thanks
They make tile drill bits. they look like a cross between a masson bit and an arrow head.

Great thanks!
You need to chip the glaze on the tile before you start drilling to keep the bit from sliding around, the tip of the drill bit usually works. You should be able to drill through with a good quality masonry bit. Don't try this without a variable speed drill, you want the bit to turn slowly. Best bet is to line things up to drill into the grout lines but somehow that never seems to be an option...
There is no glaze on porcelan tiles..

On 24 Apr 2006 11:58:20 -0700, poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I would use a bit for tile, but I have seen people take a finish nail, and mark the spot for the hole. This chips the glaze and exposes the softer part of tile.
I've never done this, and can't say I recommend it, just that it seemed to work when demostrated.
later,
tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com
There is NO glaze on porcelan tiles..

Are you sure there porcelan tiles?

Yes 100% positive - I purchased them myself.
poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I use my Dremel with a diamond bit and it works like a champ. (Harbor Freight has a whole set of diamond burr bits for $7.95 and they are quite good for the price) Bob S.

Porcelain tile can be so hard that even a carbide bit won't make it through one hole.
You need a diamond bit.