Dremel Bit Questions

I just found my old Dremel Mototool single-speed tool that has served me well through the years. The one that I have came in a kit with various blades and accessories. Yesterday for the first time, I used the bit that is shown in the pictures below. What is this bit called? Note that the cutters are on the end as well as on the sides. Is it an end cutter, or an end mill? Where can I buy more?
Isn't the shank size on the Dremel Mototool 1/8"?
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr20/patlaw_photos/Picture017.jpg
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr20/patlaw_photos/Picture018.jpg

Probably one of these- http://www.dremel.com/en-us/AttachmentsAndAccessories/Pages/CategoryProducts.aspx?catidp&catname=High+Speed+Cutters

Any hardware store? amazon? Home Depot? Lowes? . . . . . I bought a giant set one day at Harbor Freight- 100 pieces for $20 or so. Worth the $20.

I've got a 1/8th and a 1/16. And a gadget that reduces the collet to 1/16 so I can use those bits on the 1/8. [and I see they have 1/32 & 3/32 collets]
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/AttachmentsAndAccessories/Pages/CategoryProducts.aspx?catidp&catname=High+Speed+Cutters
Great, thanks. Things are easy to find when you know what to call them and where to look.
On 12/24/2009 11:00 AM mcp6453 spake thus:

It's an end mill and only meant to cut on the end, not the sides (not the same as a router bit).

Lots of places; a good local hardware store, if you're lucky enough to live near one, or online at various vendors, like http://www.hobbyplace.com/tools/drebits.php (use the usual search engines to find more).

Yep.
You can also get lots of Dremel stuff on eBay, including new Mototools, in case you ever want to upgrade to the newer-fangled variable-speed ones (like the trusty model 395).
--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

Looks like an end mill burr.
Google, or look at Buckeye Carbide bits. Free catalog. Spendy, but top quality capable of doing stainless steel.
The chuck on a Dremel determines what size shaft you an use. There are adapters. I have a Foredom, which I like a lot more, yet at times, I like the little pencil style of the Dremel, and its lightness, and the drive cable not pulling your hand back. I have adapters for three different shaft diameters. Look at yours and see what you have. You may be able to get the collets for different diameters.
Shop around for bits. Once in a while, you might find some at yard sales, or on ebay for decent prices. I got about fifty of them for a dime apiece at a thrift shop. They were stone, and exactly the size I needed for sharpening my chain saw. I got a huge set from Buckeye Carbide at a trade show, but those were a little spendy, in the $150 range, but for about 80 various bits. I think retail was about $400.
For a lot of things, the cutters and polishers don't make much difference from the manufacturers. A lot are made out of sandpaper or shaped grit, and wear out fast. Like the little cutting wheels. I really don't think that the spendy ones last much longer than the really cheapo sets. But for the carbide burrs, there is a big difference on durability.

If it's a Dremel bit, they etch (or used to) the bit number in the shank like a drill bit. You'll need a magnifying glass...well I do anyway...one with the supermagnify dot area.

Check out http://www.widgetsupply.com/ Some dremels, some knockoffs
Charlie

take good care of it,they don't make them with that quality anymore.

It looks like you ABUSED it.Looks very dull. They're only HSS bits,for wood and soft metals like aluminum.

Home Depot,Lowes,Ace Hardware,Wal-Mart has -some- Dremel stuff.

1/8" is the largest Dremel collet,and you can get a 3/32" collet,some other hand grinders and dental tools use that size. IIRC,the Black and Decker accessory bit kits are 3/32".
I've got a Dremel Model 270,the last single speed one they made. I made my own speed controller with a incandescent lamp dimmer,a duplex outlet,junction box and a power cord.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik