Double Switch Ceiling Fan/Light Problem

I recently bought a new house where the bedrooms were prewired for ceiling fans with separate switches for the light and fan. I installed a fan in one room with no problems, however the second room has an odd problem. When I turn just the fan on (at the wall), the fan runs fine. When I turn the light on (at the wall), the light comes on but the fan turns off. If I turn the light back off, the fan starts up again.
I checked my wiring as follows: Fan-------Ceiling White-----White Black-----Black Wht/Blk---Brown Green-----Green
Previously there was just a light fixture that operated on the White and Brown wires. It seems like it would be something with how things are wired at the wall switches but I'm not really sure what.
Any suggestions?
Thanks, -R
It sounds as if you have a 3 way switch at the wall, which is incorrect.
Your problem is at the switch side. You should have two, single pole switches- The power supply(hot) should go to both of them and one should have the black going to the fan and the other should have the brown going to the light.

I pulled the switches out of the switch box and looked at the wiring. Both switches are regular single switches. They are wired a bit differently than you stated. All the hot (White) are tied together. The Black from the fan goes to one switch and the Brown for the light goes to the other switch. Both switches then have a Black that ties into the rest of the black in the box. Sounds similar to what you mentioned but instead of putting hot on both switches it is neutral. Other suggestions? Thanks for your assistance.
I also just called Hunter and they said that it is something in the wiring if the fan and the light will work independently of each other.

OK, there's a problem: you don't have the concept right. White is neutral. Black is hot.

No, the switch is on the hot where it belongs. Unless somebody wired the circuit backward, that is.

Well, if the switches are actually standard switches as you say, and the switches and the unit are wired as you describe, and the unit behaves as you describe... something very, very strange is going on. Are you *sure* your description is accurate?
Russell wrote:

It sounds from what you describe it is wired correctly in the switchbox. Try this test. At the light fixture, disconnect all the wiring. Find a constant 110V feed at the light and try each the fan and the light seperately. If it works, it sounds like the problem is from the light fixture to the switchbox. Otherwise it could be a problem with the fan.