doorknobs

MY son's doorknob fell out. Is it hard to re-install it? I'm a novice home repair wife, whose husband does not do homemaintence.I have to start somewhere. Thanks for your patience.
Well, do you see any screws that can be tightened?

Slide or screw the knob back on. Tighten the set screw, wiggleing the knob to seat it in the slot.
Bob
I suggest you invest $20.00 or so and buy yourself a home repair book.

I assume you're speaking of the doorknob on your son's bedroom door, not a child with a custom opening.
The easiest way to fix something relatively simple (and non-electrical!) is to examine it carefully and see how it works. You can also look at (and take apart, if necessary) a similar working fixture. Many doorknobs have a screw-on aspect to a shaft, and a small screw that presses against (perpendicular to) the shaft to make the knob lever the mechanism and not come unscrewed itself. Easier to demonstrate than describe. Is there a small screw-hole with a missing screw?
Whatever -- give it a shot. Work slowly and lay out parts in order, if you *do* take something apart. You will be tickled when you figure it out, and have a boatload of confidence to tackle the next job.

A very good suggestion, and I recommend the Reader's Digest Complete Do-It-Yourself Manual (red and yellow hard cover). It has clear illustrations and instructions on how to do almost everything in the house.