Is it hard to install DSL yourself?

I have been trying to get DSL, and they all want to send a kit (assuring me since I am not a technical person at all) that it's very easy to install by yourself. Has anyone here done that, and is it easy? I mean, really easy...like any moron could do it easy? :-)

Reply to
Cheri

In most cases it really is that easy. The best bet is to get their supported home router option, often with WiFi, so that 1. the ISP will directly provide support, and 2. the only connections are power and the phone line.

Reply to
Pete C.

OK, great. Thanks for the quick answer.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

I was going to answer, but since I did it three years ago and don't remember anything about it, I did not want to be the first. I am thinking that since I don't remember much about it, it couldn't have been that hard. I tend to hold grudges and would still be po'ed at the phone company if there were any problems.

Kurt Ullman

Pretty easy to do. You have to install filters on all the phones. They just plug into the wall outlet and then plug the phone into the filter. Be sure not to plug the modem into a filter. There is a special filter for wall phones that hangs on the wall bracket and then hang the phone on that filter. Don't forget answering machines (if they are separate from the phone) and fax machines. If you have a phone that has one or more remote units, only the main unit that has its own phone line needs a filter . The remote units do not need a filter. If you have a monitored alarm system, call the company and tell them to come out and install a filter on their system.

The hookups to the modem and computer etc is straight forward. Cables are different colors and the directions with the kit will tell you which cable goes where.

Charlie

Reply to
Riverwalker

Plug phone cord from wall socket to dsl modem. Plug AC adapter into wall, other end into dsl modem. Connect network cable from computer to dsl modem.

Install filters on all the other phone extensions.

Boot computer.

That's it.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

The electrical connections are easy, as previous posters have indicated. But the software/configuration can be a nightmare. It took me ~5 hours to get a friend hooked up to att/yahoo in Northern California. ATT's installation software sort of destroyed everything in its path. Your mileage may vary.

Reply to
Bennett Price

Yes, avoiding installing *any* ISP provided software is a good thing. Getting the ISP's supported home router package generally helps the novice user avoid the ISP's malware.

Reply to
Pete C.

The self-install kit includes

DSL "modem" Splitter Filters (to put on all extension phones, fax machines, etc) cables installation CD

If you follow the instructions carefully, you'll be up and running within a few minutes. No technical skills needed. You'll get an 800 number to help if you get stuck.

Try to locate your modem away from motors, microwave ovens, neon lights, transformers, etc. and try to pick a location close to a phone outlet. You should also position the modem where you can easily monitor the status lights which will help with troubleshooting. You may have problems, although fixable, if you have a security system that uses the phone.

Reply to
Phisherman

It's fairly easy but not "any moron can do it" easy. It's when you have problem and have to call someone from India to try to fix it, that's when it's a real problem.

Reply to
PeterL

Unless you're a blonde......

Reply to
Reggie Dunlop

It is easy enough that most vendors deliver with a money-back guarantee or require payment only after successful connection.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

One word of caution:

You do need good quality phone circuit wires in the wall. Almost all homes built in the last 20 years or so will be OK. Last 10 years even better.

If your home is over 50 years old (pre 1960) you could be in some trouble. You may have to re-do a lot of your phone system wiring in such a case.

Wait until it is proof this a problem.

Reply to
Phil Again

It varies. The devil is in the details. You'll need to decide whether to connect via wire or wireless, and make sure you have the appropriate hardware to do so. As others have said, you'll need to install the filter(s). That should be easy, assuming your phones are relatively new. But if your phone wiring is ancient, you may need to update parts of it.

Probably the way to go is get the kit, try to make it work, but have a geek friend on call if it doesn't.

I had no trouble installing mine, but when my neighbor tried, she couldn't make it work. She and I spent some time talking to a very pleasant young lady in India before we got our first connection. I'm not sure they're all as good as the one who answered our call.

Reply to
CJT

Yes. Anyone should be able to get a DSL connection running. If your phones are noisy that is another dimension.

Technology has passed much of the population.

Reply to
Boden

-If you can walk upright and tie your own shoes you are qualified. Go for it!

Joe

Reply to
Joe

No, unfortunately they aren't. In my experience your odds of getting a competent tech at an India call center is perhaps 10% at best. Not that competent techs don't exist in India, more the competent techs in India mostly don't work support call centers.

Reply to
Pete C.

Thanks to all for the replies. I have decided not to do it, and I do live in a house that was built in 1963. I think if I do something, I will go with Comcast Broadband, since I do know that they come to install it, and I believe it connects through the cable. I'm old now, and after reading the responses, I just don't care to DIY with electronics.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Order the kit. Call tech support on a line not connected to where you are hooking up the modem or after installing the modem through provided filter/duplex plug (plugged into the correct, marked outlet).

Reply to
Mike Dobony

As long as you adhere to two fundamental rules:

  1. DO NOT make any use of any CD that comes with the package. It is not needed and will honk up your system beyond recognition.
  2. Have a 12-year old male on call.
Reply to
HeyBub