DOOR OPEN FORCE CONTROL LOCATION GENIE MODEL 820 (OLD)

Hello all.....
I have a Genie Model 820 garage door opener and apparently I need to adjust the "Door Open Force Control.
I see a reference that this potentiometer may be on the units control board.
My question is how do I get to the control board? I think I may need to remove the outer cover of the unit - any hints on that to avoid removing too many screws or the wrong screws??
Thanks for any suggestions
Best in 2016 for all..
Tom
On 12/26/2015 2:52 PM, Tom Vici wrote:

If there isn't an explicit access hole for this purpose, usually you can just pull the metal/plastic cover off of the opener (so you can actually see the mechanism as it is in operation). The screws are usually fairly obvious along the *edge* of the case.
Often, the adjustment actually has a (crude) "knob" -- little more than a plastic *shaft* -- that pokes out a hole, somewhere.
[Of course, be careful where you have your hands while the unit is plugged in; you'd be annoyed if wife pulled up the driveway while your hands were inside and commanded the opener! :> ]
Keep one of the remotes in your pocket so you can test the setting while still on the ladder. You'll quickly grow tired of climbing down, walking over to the wall mounted pushbutton, then climbing back up, etc.
If the opener does NOT also have a limit switch (often inside the mechanism) to determine "full up" (and/or "full down"), it could rely on that circuitry to stop the opener at it's end of travel -- not just when it encounters an obstruction, etc.
So, be sure you verify COMPLETE correct operation for the entire open and close actions; be ready with your hand on the power cord (most just plug into an outlet in the ceiling) as an "emergency stop".

Tom Vici wrote:

Hi, If you drop bulb cover(white plastic) you may see how to drop power head cover. It could be just snap in type with minimal screws. Genie Or Genie customer support people are very friendly. Good luck.
On Saturday, December 26, 2015 at 3:52:55 PM UTC-6, Tom Vici wrote:

I installed one Genie unit (40 some yrs ago) most have been Craftsman/Chamberlain...if I remember correctly, the knob/adjustment was external.
On 12/26/2015 3:52 PM, Tom Vici wrote:

I'd be essentially 100% certain it (and the limit switch adjustsments) will be accessible w/o removing the cover. Look for access holes w/ a shaft or as another said even an external shaft. If no printed markings, certainly would expect an indicator like an arrow of differing width indicating higher/lower force or the like.
A quick looksee didn't find the manual online; post a few pictures of the unit closeup on one of the hosting sites if can't identify from the above...

On Saturday, December 26, 2015 at 3:52:55 PM UTC-6, Tom Vici wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9-ebzl691w

On Saturday, December 26, 2015 at 4:47:41 PM UTC-6, bob_villain wrote:

It looks like they're are on the rail...
bob_villain wrote:

OP mentioned 800 series GDO and owner's manual shows pots. How can you mount pots on the rail? The Youtube shows a screw drive type with C motor, even older than Blue Max which gad limit switches clipped on the each end of the rail.
On Saturday, December 26, 2015 at 5:05:35 PM UTC-6, Tony Hwang wrote:

Quote from text "This might of been the model 880..." This is what I found trying to be helpful...I'm not going to look through an entire video to see if it applies...