Door bell wired wrong

Oh, I quite agree. That's one reason why I neither stand there debating with them, nor read their literature.

My point, though, is that if I regard the JWs as annoying pests, or as nuisance do-gooders who think they know what's best for me and are determined that I have it -- it gets me upset. And I bet it does you, too, if you're honest with yourself about it.

I remain much calmer if I think of them as sincere, but misguided, folks who are trying in their own way to help their fellow human beings. I have no interest in receiving the type of help they wish to provide, but if that lack of interest causes me to become angry and turn them away harshly, in the end I have harmed only myself.

Now if I could only persuade myself to take the same attitude toward the environmental activists that go door-to-door in my neighborhood (after driving here in a Suburban!)...

Reply to
Doug Miller

It is my understanding that the worst way you can disappoint them is to refuse the literature. As far as they are concerned, if they leave the pamphlet, they've done their job. Whether or not you read it. So the best policy is to open the door, and refuse the literature and THEN say no thanks, cya later.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I like my way best- I look through the peephole, and if I see shiny faces and glassy eyes, and especially teenage boys in white shirts and ties, I just don't answer the damn door. They go away eventually. Life is too short, etc.

aem sends....

Reply to
<aemeijers

The last time that happened, it was white name badges with crosses on them.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd