Door bell wired wrong

Page 4 of 5

It is part of their training. They are required to hit the 'hustings' once a year and thus every year there is a new crop of trainees that show up.
Harry K

I have a little video camera at my front door, making it easy to tell when it'd be better not to open the door, such as with strangers carrying Bibles (or vacuum cleaners).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

3) Put up Bubonic Plague sign.
Your bell transformer is attached to the front hall fixture, but you're not going to see the R&W low voltage wires in the fixture junction box as they are on the "load" (16 volt) side of the transformer, which is probably mounted to the outside of that lighting outlet box. It is possible that there is a constant live feed in that outlet box and the bell transformer was inadvertently connected to the switched leg instead

Why mess with it? Buy a wireless.
Steve

Yes, that's right. Maybe 3 inches by 3 by 3, or so. Often grey shaped ends with a black middle, a couple screws on one side with the thin wires, and heavy wires on the other side, that disappear into what ever the transformer is mounted to.
Sometimes they are mounted to the breaker box, but mine is on a joist in the ceiling of the basement attached to a light fixture box, but on the other side of the laundry room from the breaker box. OTOH, if it is in one of the regular places, it would be hard to imange how they managed to wire it into the front light.
Most houses are built along with other houses on the same block, even if they don't look alike. Maybe your neighbors have already dealt with this, and can tell you where to find things. I suppose there might have been more than one crew so some houses might be more standard than others.
If you ever find those two thin wires somewhere, you'll be well on your way to solving this.

For what it is worth, mine is in the attic, hung off the box feeding the bathroom and hall lights. Only six feet or so from the ringer. Sounds like they put it on the same switched circuit as the light, which means it is probably near the door, assuming a typical switch leg down from the box on the porch. Where is the inside chime? I'd bet the transformer is either in attic like mine, or in a box in a closet, somewhere close by. It may be in a papered or painted over housing, or even in the same box as the ringer.
aem sends...
A doorbell-- so that is what that is. Every time we go to look for where that music is coming from, somebody comes to the door! Seriously, can you find any wires going to the doorbell swich, and to the bell itself. If you can find either, trace it down and it should lead you to the tranformer. If the transformer is in a spot that is too hard to access, just go buy a new one-- only a few dollars- and hook it up to a constant source of 120 volts wherever is easiest. One low voltage wire from the transformer will go straight to the bell, and the other to the switch and then back to the bll. Good luck Larry
On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 18:10:19 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (lp13-30) wrote:

(paraphrase)
Uncle Jed, there goes that music agin, I bet somebody is at the door.
Jethro (Beverly Hillbillies)
-- Oren
Yup, the Beverly Hillbillies is what I was referrring to. IMO, that is by far the funniest show that has ever been on TV, period. It is hard to believe it has been 44 years since it began, and it is just as funny today as it was then. Larry

I was channel surfing last night and ............
Green Acres .........
Steve

Those shows are related. There's a third relative called Petticoat Junction.
As to doorbells, my grandmother had trouble with telling which door it was for when someone rung the bell, and they had often given up by the time she'd checked all the doors. I fixed that by adding an electronic buzzer I had, across the FRONT solenoid (so it worked only with the front door). The buzzer I had was a pulsating one and required DC, so I added a rectifier and capacitor to it. Now when someone's at the front door, you hear the ding-dong as well as BEEP!! BEEP! BEEP beep bip bp. Easy to know what door to go to.
That house has since been sold twice. I've been in it since then and that thing is still there.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

I'm still looking for something that will let me play back a scream and a loud crash, with breaking glass and metal clanging, when someone pushes the doorbell.
On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 19:15:54 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (lp13-30) wrote:

Yeah. It had the potential to be so stupid, but instead it was great.
I think it must pay to hire good writers.

And if it came on today, they wouldn't let it on. It is not politically correct, and profiles minorities in a derogatory way. If you think of it, a lot of the old shows wouldn't be PC correct enough to make it through the network screeners today.
The other day, I watched Blazing Saddles. Blazing Saddles would not be allowed today, and I wonder how this was allowed back then. They cut out the fart scene around the campfire, but left in the doobie smoking scenes in the marshall's office.
Go figger.
Steve

Cut out the fart scene??? Local TV station?
On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 18:10:19 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (lp13-30) wrote:

I've been trying to explain that to you, Granny. It's not a quinsidents. They come to the door because they like the music.
Jethro, do you get it yet?

I can't believe I got so many replies on this very serious problem and question I had regarding my faulty wired front door bell!
I haven't had such a good laugh reading them in such a long time!
We have lived in this same house since June of 1981 with this same faulty wired door bell and for some strange reason I thought it might be time to finally see if I could rectify the problem. I guess because the bell is mounted on the wall in our front entry way hallway and I just took it down the other day to repaper the wall.
What I should have done was to just fill in the little hole in the wall where the wires come through and paper over the dang thing and be done with it. No one has ever come to the house in the past 26 years and complained that our door bell doesn't work.
I guess I could still take the stupid bell back off the wall and hang a picture over the little hole............
Thanks for the many ideas - it made my day!
I wonder where Ellie May is? Out by the ce-ment pond?
Steve ;-}
Ellie May... Wheeeeeeeeee doggie!
--
Steve Barker

"Steve" < snipped-for-privacy@2z.net> wrote in message

Loved that show! Especially the first year or two it was on........
Wish I could hit some of that "Black Gold - Texas Tea!"
Steve