Donating to NYC

Page 2 of 6
On Mon, 5 Nov 2012 10:20:18 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

What?
Are you telling us Obama stole your card and ran up a tab on it ?
Or are you just being a typical liberal and blaming others instead of being a man and taking responsibility for your own actions.
For two things, you could have mowed your own lawn and changed your own tire and put what you saved to pay down the balance.
But not the good old Morman fiscal conservative, no sir. He just runs up a bill and blames it on the other guy.

The victims would get more out of it if he just donated what the gas would cost.

Now, now. The Mormon is a conservative. In his world that means be a spend thrift and blame someone else. To him, stepping up, being a man, and taking responsibility for your own actions is a silly liberal idea.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Ask your church if they, or another local church are collecting items to send.
I'll do that. I've seen on the news, there are many hundreds of "Mormon Helping Hands" on scene, already. MHH need to eat, shower, etc, on regular basis.
Ask your church if they, or another local church are collecting items to send.

Good idea.
Be aware that politics may enter the game. I recall one group in Mississippi that trashed donated bottle water as it came from a brewery and was in brown glass bottles.
One church group for NC showed up in NOLA with a full field kitchen. FEMA would not let them set up because they did not have local health inspections.
Some wag in the group had a computer, a printer and was able to fabricated the inspection documents.
I can imagine such cluster fronts. Your government in action.
I remember a time before I joined the church. I was one night drinking iced tea out of a beer bottle (I'd capped it earlier that night) and one of the guys kept telling me to go easy on that stuff. I assured him this stuff didn't make me drunk.
Be aware that politics may enter the game. I recall one group in Mississippi that trashed donated bottle water as it came from a brewery and was in brown glass bottles.
One church group for NC showed up in NOLA with a full field kitchen. FEMA would not let them set up because they did not have local health inspections.
Some wag in the group had a computer, a printer and was able to fabricated the inspection documents.

were out drinking. I couldn't at the time because of some medication I was on so I drank diet cokes. Some thought it was rum and coke and were suitably impressed with drinking abilities (grin)
Well, that's one way to win the drinking game. Don't drink alcohol. I like the technique.
I was legend in some people's minds a few years ago when my friends were out drinking. I couldn't at the time because of some medication I was on so I drank diet cokes. Some thought it was rum and coke and were suitably impressed with drinking abilities (grin)
On 11/5/2012 4:01 PM, NotMe wrote:

Whenever a government agency gets involved in any situation, stupidity always rears its ugly head. O_o
TDD
You have a talent for understatement.
wrote in message
Whenever a government agency gets involved in any situation, stupidity always rears its ugly head. O_o
TDD
On 11/5/2012 6:14 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

helping the other states? Maybe they are man enough to help themselves. Just sayin'.
On 11-05-2012 18:06, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Bureaucrat, n. - Person who cuts red tape lengthwise.
--
Wes Groleau

Armchair Activism: http://www.breakthechain.org/armchair.html
On 11/5/2012 9:04 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Generally it's more of a hassle to collect and distribute such stuff than it's worth to the major organizations in relief efforts. It takes a lot of manpower and logistics to deal with stuff like that so despite the good intents it really doesn't help.
About the only way one can do anything w/ such goods is to be able to do it on an individual and/or small independent effort--and again, that's tough owing to the logistics of there being none in the areas and sending in trucks, etc., just get hung up in the general congestion already there that they're fighting.
It's why cash really is king...
It's very possible that you're right. Maybe that's why I havn't seen a donations box in the chuch vestibule.
Generally it's more of a hassle to collect and distribute such stuff than it's worth to the major organizations in relief efforts. It takes a lot of manpower and logistics to deal with stuff like that so despite the good intents it really doesn't help.
About the only way one can do anything w/ such goods is to be able to do it on an individual and/or small independent effort--and again, that's tough owing to the logistics of there being none in the areas and sending in trucks, etc., just get hung up in the general congestion already there that they're fighting.
It's why cash really is king...
On 11/5/2012 9:24 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I _know_ I'm right... :)
Been very involved in the longterm recovery branch of particular denomination and work very closely w/ all the other organizations plus FEMA and state/local authorities, etc., ...
There's a _lot_ more organization and effort behind the scenes in coordination and logistics, etc., that one generally doesn't think about but it requires that or everybody just jams up on top of themselves. The more congested the area to begin with, the more of a pita it is to have to deal with owing to that as well as simply the difficulties of the work itself.
Individuals can help of course on a small scale locally independently but even volunteers en masse need a coordination effort to be able to effectively contribute and _somebody_ has to do that after the immediate instantaneous response is over...
On 11/5/2012 12:04 PM, dpb wrote:

Again, groups do collect donations but in general to be effective they need to be organized and have some central collection location where the goods can be segregated by type and then either sent as shipments of general supplies or bundled as care bags or somesuch. Then there has to be a way to get them there and a place for them to be offloaded and somehow distibuted and so on and so on...just piling up a bunch of miscellaneous items somewhere, throwing them in the back of a truck and heading off can create more hassle than benefit or end up in stuff just sitting somewhere because there is no way to get them distributed.
On 11/5/2012 12:15 PM, dpb wrote: ...

After Katrina and in many of the other Gulf hurricane aftermaths there have been trailer loads of ice sent that ended up just melting when refrigerated trailers ran out of diesel for the coolers before ever had a chance to get somewhere that could offload...sometimes drivers would just park along side of a road somewhere and manage to get some of it to folks but much is wasted that way unless it is part of some plan that includes somebody expecting it and there being a way to get it to somebody/somewhere that has a way to handle it in a timely fashion.
Remember that normal logistics in the aftermath is essentially non-existent...and you can't just show up w/ a tractor trailer and expect there to be a warehouse and refrigeration and forklifts, etc., etc, etc., ...
All the major relief agencies have warehouses of nonperishables and such things as tents, blankets, cots, etc., etc, etc., ... that they can access immediately and they have the plans in place for distributing them and the experience dealing with the chaotic situations. The need thereafter then is to replace these consumables for the next major disaster where again "cash is king"...and again, various relief organizations have split up areas of responsibility amongst themselves by arrangement to avoid all trying to do the same thing at the expense of some other area not getting any attention. As noted, the organization w/ which I work is primarily the one that is still around and really begins to step to the fore when FEMA, insurance and all the other early responders haven't been able for one reason or another to solve a particular problem. We have early responders, too, but that's not our major focus...
Can't UPS a box of stuff to the NYC branch of Salvation Army?
Been very involved in the longterm recovery branch of particular denomination and work very closely w/ all the other organizations plus FEMA and state/local authorities, etc., ...
There's a _lot_ more organization and effort behind the scenes in coordination and logistics, etc., that one generally doesn't think about but it requires that or everybody just jams up on top of themselves. The more congested the area to begin with, the more of a pita it is to have to deal with owing to that as well as simply the difficulties of the work itself.
Individuals can help of course on a small scale locally independently but even volunteers en masse need a coordination effort to be able to effectively contribute and _somebody_ has to do that after the immediate instantaneous response is over...

<Snip DPB's remarkably concise yet complete explanation of logistics and why people sending random "stuff" into a disaster area really isn't helping.>

Wow. You read DPB's excellent explanations of why whatever non-monetary "stuff" you plan to donate isn't really helping. Yet not one whit of it penetrated. Not an iota. Fascinating.
I can imagine that one of the reasons you might be in business trouble and can't afford to send a check is that you listen to your clients with that same utter lack of attention. That could easily translate into a loss of repeat business when your clients patiently explain their needs to you but you appear to have not heard a single word. Most people get turned off by being ignored.
If you spent less time on the Internet missing point after point you might find enough paying work to actually be able to afford to send a check. That's what the relief agencies are asking for: $$$ What you want is to make yourself feel good about giving and get a zing in on Obama, who apparently personally forced you into debt. I thought Mormons never spent money they didn't have - only libs did that. More likely it was your profound internet addiction interfering with time that should be spent growing your apparently tottering business. If I didn't have $20 to give to charity, I'd spend more time trying to earn money and less time posting anything and everything that comes to your mind on Usenet.
But go ahead, clog vital shipping channels with your box of God knows what and make more work for some poor, exhausted Salvation Army employee. They'll have to log it, go through it, sort it, check for expiration dates and adulteration and then get it to someone in need of a can of Stormin' Mormon's surplus stringbeans.
-- Bobby G.
On 11/6/2012 2:17 AM, Robert Green wrote:

the excellent advice and run with it.