Donating to NYC

The folks in NYC must need a LOT of stuff like food, matches, camping fuel, etc. Is there a process to donate supplies, which will be given to needy folks, with minimum of theft, or diversion?

I looked at the Salvation Army web site, but they do not adress this question. I have no cash to donate, but I could ship some canned goods, flashlights and batteries, shampoo, etc.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

How about a small cash donation to the DAV? They have a lot of Disabled Veterans who lost homes and possesions due to Sandy.

Michael A. Terrell

Ask your church if they, or another local church are collecting items to send.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

With the Oh Bomb Us economy, I'm a bit too much in debt. I'd rather donate goods.

.

How about a small cash donation to the DAV? They have a lot of Disabled Veterans who lost homes and possesions due to Sandy.

Stormin Mormon

Generally it's more of a hassle to collect and distribute such stuff than it's worth to the major organizations in relief efforts. It takes a lot of manpower and logistics to deal with stuff like that so despite the good intents it really doesn't help.

About the only way one can do anything w/ such goods is to be able to do it on an individual and/or small independent effort--and again, that's tough owing to the logistics of there being none in the areas and sending in trucks, etc., just get hung up in the general congestion already there that they're fighting.

It's why cash really is king...

--

Reply to
dpb

I'll do that. I've seen on the news, there are many hundreds of "Mormon Helping Hands" on scene, already. MHH need to eat, shower, etc, on regular basis.

.

Ask your church if they, or another local church are collecting items to send.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's very possible that you're right. Maybe that's why I havn't seen a donations box in the chuch vestibule.

.

Generally it's more of a hassle to collect and distribute such stuff than it's worth to the major organizations in relief efforts. It takes a lot of manpower and logistics to deal with stuff like that so despite the good intents it really doesn't help.

About the only way one can do anything w/ such goods is to be able to do it on an individual and/or small independent effort--and again, that's tough owing to the logistics of there being none in the areas and sending in trucks, etc., just get hung up in the general congestion already there that they're fighting.

It's why cash really is king...

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well think about this first!

Wind does not make the existing food in people's homes suddenly disappear! Nor does an earthquake. All the food people had there before the storm is still there. (Canned and dry goods.)

Just refrigerated or frozen food would go bad, but no point in sending that as it will go bad if they still do not have electricity.

Most helpful would be flashlights, hand operated can openers, batteries, and camping cook stoves / fuel.

Also send along instructions to NOT use those cooking stoves in their high rise apartments! Maybe set up several of these outside these buildings for everybody to use.

Reply to
Bill

I _know_ I'm right... :)

Been very involved in the longterm recovery branch of particular denomination and work very closely w/ all the other organizations plus FEMA and state/local authorities, etc., ...

There's a _lot_ more organization and effort behind the scenes in coordination and logistics, etc., that one generally doesn't think about but it requires that or everybody just jams up on top of themselves. The more congested the area to begin with, the more of a pita it is to have to deal with owing to that as well as simply the difficulties of the work itself.

Individuals can help of course on a small scale locally independently but even volunteers en masse need a coordination effort to be able to effectively contribute and _somebody_ has to do that after the immediate instantaneous response is over...

--

Reply to
dpb

Again, groups do collect donations but in general to be effective they need to be organized and have some central collection location where the goods can be segregated by type and then either sent as shipments of general supplies or bundled as care bags or somesuch. Then there has to be a way to get them there and a place for them to be offloaded and somehow distibuted and so on and so on...just piling up a bunch of miscellaneous items somewhere, throwing them in the back of a truck and heading off can create more hassle than benefit or end up in stuff just sitting somewhere because there is no way to get them distributed.

--

Reply to
dpb

WTF does this crap have to do with helping the DAV help Veterans? Are you too stupid to give them $5?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That was a general suggestion, to others who can help.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The mormon rather blame others for his failures, much easier than to take on responsibility & accountability. He can't walk the talk.

Reply to
Kronos

On 11/5/2012 12:15 PM, dpb wrote: ...

After Katrina and in many of the other Gulf hurricane aftermaths there have been trailer loads of ice sent that ended up just melting when refrigerated trailers ran out of diesel for the coolers before ever had a chance to get somewhere that could offload...sometimes drivers would just park along side of a road somewhere and manage to get some of it to folks but much is wasted that way unless it is part of some plan that includes somebody expecting it and there being a way to get it to somebody/somewhere that has a way to handle it in a timely fashion.

Remember that normal logistics in the aftermath is essentially non-existent...and you can't just show up w/ a tractor trailer and expect there to be a warehouse and refrigeration and forklifts, etc., etc, etc., ...

All the major relief agencies have warehouses of nonperishables and such things as tents, blankets, cots, etc., etc, etc., ... that they can access immediately and they have the plans in place for distributing them and the experience dealing with the chaotic situations. The need thereafter then is to replace these consumables for the next major disaster where again "cash is king"...and again, various relief organizations have split up areas of responsibility amongst themselves by arrangement to avoid all trying to do the same thing at the expense of some other area not getting any attention. As noted, the organization w/ which I work is primarily the one that is still around and really begins to step to the fore when FEMA, insurance and all the other early responders haven't been able for one reason or another to solve a particular problem. We have early responders, too, but that's not our major focus...

--

Reply to
dpb

ROFLMAO!!! Look at the Leftwinger blaming the Democrat fuckups on Republicans.

Democraps controlled Congress since Jan 3, 2007...and it was the the Republicans who were the bad people????

LAUGH LAUGH LAUGH!!!

Gunner

-- "President Obama is not going to lose. He will be re-elected. It is those of you who have these grand fantasies of that pip-squeak Romney actually having a chance at winning the election that will have to wake up to reality the day after the election. I hear there is plenty of room in the rest of the world where you can reside and establish new citizenship. Kirby Grant,

Reply to
Gunner

I just sent em $20. Best I could do.

Im ambivalent about the DAV, but they seem to get money passed along well enough

Gunner

-- "President Obama is not going to lose. He will be re-elected. It is those of you who have these grand fantasies of that pip-squeak Romney actually having a chance at winning the election that will have to wake up to reality the day after the election. I hear there is plenty of room in the rest of the world where you can reside and establish new citizenship. Kirby Grant,

Reply to
Gunner

Right..... set up cook stoves for everyone to use. You stuck in the sixties free love generation?

.

Well think about this first!

Wind does not make the existing food in people's homes suddenly disappear! Nor does an earthquake. All the food people had there before the storm is still there. (Canned and dry goods.)

Just refrigerated or frozen food would go bad, but no point in sending that as it will go bad if they still do not have electricity.

Most helpful would be flashlights, hand operated can openers, batteries, and camping cook stoves / fuel.

Also send along instructions to NOT use those cooking stoves in their high rise apartments! Maybe set up several of these outside these buildings for everybody to use.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Can't UPS a box of stuff to the NYC branch of Salvation Army?

.

Been very involved in the longterm recovery branch of particular denomination and work very closely w/ all the other organizations plus FEMA and state/local authorities, etc., ...

There's a _lot_ more organization and effort behind the scenes in coordination and logistics, etc., that one generally doesn't think about but it requires that or everybody just jams up on top of themselves. The more congested the area to begin with, the more of a pita it is to have to deal with owing to that as well as simply the difficulties of the work itself.

Individuals can help of course on a small scale locally independently but even volunteers en masse need a coordination effort to be able to effectively contribute and _somebody_ has to do that after the immediate instantaneous response is over...

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

More stuff while it may be of some small help is going to clog up the system. If all you have to donate is what it would cost to ship the stuff then go for donating the shipping cost in cash. Take the 'stuff' to the local food bank/outreach group as there are people local to you in need as well.

I looked at the SA and can find little info on how to help NY/NJ etc with cash. Someone suggested the DAV and that's likely where what little I can offer will go.

We have friends of friends that have been hammered so we're sending via the family network assistance. I do this with the full expectation that the excess will be delivered person to person to those close at hand who are in need.

Before the storm hit we sent a truck load of rebuilt gen sets to members of our extended family in KY, NC and WVA. These were equipped to power multiple homes. According to reports that project did what was needed for a small group of folk and their neighbors.

So one gen set here another there three or four houses with light, fridge and power for the furnace will make a difference. I wonder what could be accomplished if the three gen sets sitting in the middle of central park could do if there were put to use.

Reply to
NotMe

Yeah, but Major Bloombutt says it was supposed to be a morale boost....

I've heard of folks sharing generators, and rotating circuits. It can be done, if people are polite about it.

.