don't turn that clock back

Page 2 of 2

The "bad" thing for many older clock mechanism is running it *backwards*. This is especially important for clocks with striking mechanisms which can become out of sync with the clock.
I've never heard of any problems advancing the time forward.
I'm sure you'll find more than one (conflicting) reason for this by visiting some of the links returned by:
http://www.google.com/search?q=clock+mechanism+damage+backward
--
May no harm befall you,
flip

My grandfather clock is the opposite. The instructions demand that it only be set backwards.

Opposite of my experience.

--
Keith

A clock with chimes will frequently get very upset with you if you push the thing through the chime sequence. THe technique that I've seen is to advance the clock to a few minutes short of the hour, wait for it to ring, and then finish setting it. (to advance the clock), and to just stop the pendulum for an hour when setting it back. If the chime/Alarm doesn't have a mechanical movement, it probably doesn't matter much which way you move it.
--Goedjn
stay da course? wrote:

Fuck, everytime I turn the clock off it blinks 12:00. Damn it.
On 30 Oct 2006 10:51:34 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Your clock has a bad memory, and can't remember stuff when it wakes up.
You could use a device that varies the frequency of the AC (I've seen one of these used for controlling a telescope). Set it to 240Hz (200Hz in Europe) and let it run for 5 hours and 45 minutes (math not guaranteed) to get the effect of setting it back an hour).

Mark Lloyd