Dog Crap on Front Yard

The relevant agency in my city is called "Codes and Compliance". The police, while perhaps serving as ultimate enforcers, are probably not over-concerned with dog poop, so I wouldn't make them the first point of contact. Find out what the regs are, and what reporting and enforcement procedures are appropriate.
If you are able to be present when someone is leading his/her dog around to do this, kill 'em with kindness. Rush out with a a couple of plastic grocery bags, explain the technique of using the bag as first a glove and then a container, and say something about how "I *know* you wouldn't want to inconvenience homeowners here." With only 1 or 2 offenders, you might get some mileage out of rushing out, complimenting the dog, and saying "I have a problem you might be able to help me with. Some people allow their dogs to go to the bathroom(!) on my lawn and perhaps you can suggest a way to keep this from happening." Of course, this must be done as they *approach*, not after the deed is done.
In the face of hostility, Miss Manners might add "Such a nice dog. It'd be a shame if something happened to him."
However, actual violence is counter-productive and can lead to serious consequences for you.
Prevention? A fence, not a shotgun.
On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 05:29:39 GMT, "Michael Daly"

Interesting. That's an idea worth trying.
And, thanks to all who replied civilly.
Ken
Does he kick sand in your face at the beach too? Charles Atlas made a business from people who were afraid to take action.
RB
Ken Hall wrote:

These sorts of answers amaze me. Hasn't it occurred to anyone that the apartment dwellers with dogs may see themselves as Charles Atlases as well? Wouldn't said person with dog just as likely also have an ethos that ain't nobody pushes him around neither??!? And, compared to a homeowner, have less at stake to boot?
I take it that some folks here just feel good posting this stuff, some kinda catharsis. But I suspect the OP has too wide a view of the situation, and too much mental capacity to think through to consequences to give this stuff much mind. Thankfully.
Banty

Well Banty snipped-for-privacy@newsguy.com Stormin,,,Mormin. Scared again eh, so he should stick his head in the sand and hide? Get real..
You people, (and I say that with reservation) are amazing, truly amazing. All this shit is worth possible incarceration, loosing his house and home, and most if not all of his possessions. I am so glad there are still reasoning people somewhere in this world, and that the OP has enough intelligence and such to ignore stupidity like this.
"Scared again eh," ???
Amazing logic.
Dave
Stormin,,,Mormin. Scared again eh,

RB says...

First,there are laws against assaulting a person,and ones against cruelty to animals.Then,it's also legitimate self-defense on the dog owners' part;you might not survive the assault. It's also not very smart to attack a dog owner while his dog is within reach.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

Well, yeah. And not only that - it just doesn't move things toward the desired solution (especially when you have a diffuse bunch of apartment dwellers to deal with). The mousy dog handler who backs off when the homeowner puffs up his chest may well make *that* lawn the *preferred* doggie-do locale from then on whenever he notices that the homeowner's car isn't in the driveway. (And question him about it - believe me it'll nevvvvver nevvver be hiiim - it surely must be some ooooother apartment dweller...)
Unless the OP is willing to sit shotgun on his front porch 24/7, the tough guy intimidation tactics just plain aren't going to work.
Banty
RB says...

That's where a video camera or one of those security cameras and your VCR come in handy(camcorders have zoom lens).I had problems at work with valuable items missing,and suspected the cleaning crew,but the office manager would not believe me,nor take action.(proof of the 'Peter Principle) So,I hooked up a tiny 'spy' camera to a VCR,and taped my work area every night.It only took a couple of weeks to find a couple of the cleaning guys going through my bench drawers,and showing the video to the manager was priceless! (my favorite part!) The entire crew got fired that evening,end of problem.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

Hang out in the window with a camera. Owners that stop in your yard to let their dog take a shit will have their photo taken, and then you can call the cops and have them ticketed or arrested. Usually it's a criminal offense to lave dog shit on someone else's property or in public.
wrote in

IMO,it's at least vandalism.
Post a sign saying the area is being videotaped for prosecution evidence. Then do that if people persist,and laws provide for it.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

In addition. put a couple or poles in the ground as ring a simple rope fence. Hand the no trespassing signs on it and curb your dog signs. The people will know you are serious and will be less likely to walk their dog on your property. Walk out there with a camera also.
You have to let them know you mean business and may be watching at any time. Even at night. If someone walks near the line, take a photo. Does not matter if it comes out, just the flash may be a deterrent. Ed
On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 17:35:24 GMT, "Jon Endres, PE"

It isn't illegal at all. What is illegal is failing to clean up after the dog. Dog owners can have their dogs shit all over your lawn all they want, so long as they pick it up afterwards.

Really? Perhaps for a public park, but as for private property, what do you think the role is for tresspassing laws?
Banty

I had a car stolen from my driveway, and I couldn't get them to come out and take a report. I had to go to the station. I really don't believe they will send an officer out to inspect "the 8x10 glossy pictures with the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back explaining what each one was." The quotation is only for those old enough to remember its source, but relevant nonetheless.
Doggie doodoo is low on the police department's priority list, and even lower on the court's.
For anyone who does call in to their local police on such a matter, please post what their response is. After they have quit laughing, that is.
Steve

The only one who can legally be accused of trespassing is the owner and if they are standing on the public sidewalk, you can't do a damn thing about it. The dog is not covered by the trespassing law, you can't sue a dog.

No, but if a dog bites someone, you can sue the owner. The dog under the law is PROPERTY of the owner. They are liable for the actions of the dog. I think there could be numerous damages argued for this: Health issues, harassment, damage to the property.
He needs to find out who it is, and speak to them civilly, explaining that he's tired of picked up the crap from their dog, and that if they don't stop, he will take them to small claims court.
On 5 Jan 2004 08:08:38 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Larry Bud) wrote:

Yes, and as I said, the owner is legally responsible for cleaning up after the dog and can be fined for not doing so. You still can't have him arrested for trespassing because his *DOG* is on your property.

In order to win in small claims, you need to demonstrate a financial loss. Having to pick up dog crap doesn't cost you anything but time. Now if you could show that your lawn died because of the dog waste, you might have a case. Otherwise, all you can do is have the police levy a fine for violating scooper laws.
(Larry Bud)

Time is money, at least in my case it is. I think someone who continues to let their dog shit on your property, when told to their face to stop it, could constitute harassment.
Larry Bud wrote:

Or what if the person who owns the yard is disabled and has to pay someone to come and clean up the other person's (Dog's) mess? Then they should be able to prove a financial loss and recoup the cost of having their yard cleaned.