Does having multiple RJ45 jacks degrade the Internet signal a lot?

Attach some kind of radial arm to the base of the pipe that is long enough to clear the concrete base. Unistrut and several hose clamps will suffice. Pound a spike into the ground at the end of the radial arm. How much good that will do against the force of the oak tree branches hitting the panel antenna is dubious. Having the pipe twist when the oak branches hit the antenna probably saved your antenna from destruction (as seems evident by the antenna tilt). If the pipe were secured in place, I'm fairly sure that the sheet metal mounting contrivance on the back of the panel antenna would now be twisted into a pretzel.

Incidentally, I would NOT pound a wooden wedge into the base bushing as it's like to split or deform the bushing.

Trim the trees.

Nope. It's fine (but ugly). The loss caused by polarization mismatch is fairly minor until you approach 90 degrees. Polarization Mismatch Loss in dB = 20 log (cos angle) For a 15 degree tilt, that's only 0.3dB. Even 45 degrees will only cause a 3dB drop.

Ummm... is that the Home Despot CAT5 on the ground? What happened to the waterproof direct burial CAT5? It will probably last through the winter, but all it takes is for you to walk on the cable, or some critter to chew on it, and water will get in. After that, it's just a matter of time before the copper corrodes into an intermittent.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I forgot to post the picture I took in the morning of the broken roof!

Now I have yet another repair item to learn how to fix!

:)

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

The trick is not to slip off the roof. Walking on tile is also a problem. You'll need some plywood or boards to distribute your mass. I've helped with a tile roof repair, but that was 30 years ago.

etc. Plenty more found with Google.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the suggestions! You're a kind heart.

Since the antenna is 16 feet high, I need to research the cost/ versatility of having either a 20 foot (or so) orchard ladder versus a 20 foot (or so) chainsaw-on-a-pole for tree trimming overall.

I would think the home-repair guys would know which is best, from a cost/ utility standpoint since many of them probably have one or the other (or both). I can't afford both so I'll have to choose one of the two, always planning more for general use than for the specific one-time application.

Now that's very interesting! Yes, this tilt is minor, so, all it does, based on your calculation result, is look ugly! Thanks for the edification!

I made a big mistake when I first spec'd out this job.

I bought 500 feet of uv-outdoor cat5e from Home Depot for $75. Turns out I 'should' have bought about 100 feet of waterproof, and then another 100 feet of interior cat5e. That would have been cheaper, better, and easier!

If only I knew then what (you've taught me) I know now!

Reply to
Chuck Banshee