Does having multiple RJ45 jacks degrade the Internet signal a lot?

Page 12 of 12
On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 15:22:04 +0000 (UTC), Chuck Banshee

I appreciate it, too. There is no tutorial better than one written by someone who doesn't just do this stuff all the time without having to think through every step.
And we get the benefit of the guys who *can* just throw this together looking over our shoulders and pointing out mistakes.
Thanks all- I'll start shopping for my second router. Jim

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ is a handy Windows tool for watching for interference from neighbors.
My neighbors apparently turn off their routers when they aren't using them (leftover habit from dialup days?), since I see them sometimes and not others.

This thread is so long, I didn't go back and look: If you just need a little signal boost, maybe a reflector is the right solution.
http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/EZ10-strength.htm
But now I prefer the Windsurfer from the same site. http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/index.html
http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/EZ12-windsurfer.jpg
printed on photo paper for thick stock, with aluminum foil glued to the sail, provides a substantial boost in signal. Leave the "tabs" longer than indicated on the drawing, for easier assembly.

I moved my DLink DIR-655 GigE/N router to the far end of my house and dragged a cable under the house, so I could hardwire a couple of DirecTV boxes. I only use that WiFi for the Wii.
It seems to be an excellent box.
The reason it is at the far end of my house is because I have a SamKnows Whitebox NETGEAR WNR3500L as my primary router. I do this to participate in the FCC survey of broadband providers, but it is not as good a router as the DLink. The WiFi range is less, and some devices connect to it at 65Mbps, but none at higher, and some at only 54Mbps. I suppose tat could be because of the non-standard firmware load from SamKnows, but their support isn't helping, and I think the lack of good N speeds is a hardware fault.