does any big-box stores still have real TSP?

The ones in my area all have a substitute chemical with no phosphates. For example the one at ACE is labeled TSP on the container in big letters, but when you read the label on the back it says it's a substitute! The Walmart product is simularly labled but it's a liquid substitute.
Hasn't "real" TSP been banned along with other phosphate-containing products because they are environmental hazards?
MB
On 09/16/04 03:12 pm jhill put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

I've used the substitute by Savogran and it does a respectable job. I'd need a side by side comparison to see which is better.
jhill wrote:

jhill wrote:

It would depend on where you live. It is banned by law in most areas.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Certainly sold here in SE Florida at Home Depot and Lowes.
The Fanjuls pay the politicians to raise sugar cane here at twice the world market price. The phosphate runoff into the Everglades from that are far more a problem than a little homeowner use.
And Florida is a major commercial phosphate mining area.
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:19:17 -0500, Richard J Kinch
HD here in Tampa has it in a jug and Lowes has it in a jug as well as powder form.. Just bought a gallon this morning.
scribbled this interesting note:

I've heard that you can sometimes find real trisodium phosphate at real paint stores...(hint, none of the big box stores are real paint stores...)
I asked a young clerk in HD paint section if they carried Pumice, he then led me to where an older clerk was and asked the question for me and we got "Go to a REAL paint store".
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 21:49:49 -0500, John Willis

It might be found in commercial laundry detergents (not sure). Found at wholesale houses like Johnstone Supply.
I've heard it can also be an ingredient in some automatic dish washer detergents.
It's been awhile, but TSP was promoting the growth of algae in the waste water. That's what the old foggy memory says.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I've also heard that your compost pile will take care of that pesky TSP just fine...

Move. TSP is banned in many states now.
Jeff