Does a 1,000 gallon propane tank get special paint (any ideas on a pattern?)

Page 2 of 2

On Jul 10, 1:38 am, Kat Rabun <katspianostudio...@Use-Author-Supplied- Address.invalid> wrote:

House paints are latex and not the most rust resistant for metal, rustoleum is a good brand, epoxy would be even better, has it been rusting for 15 years, tanks do rust through and leak. Go to a real paint store Sherwin William paint is probaly used on more commercial metal than any other brand.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 06:38:41 +0000 (UTC), Kat Rabun

I'd ask the supplier. Might be time for a new tank.
Otherwise- somewhere in my travels I've seen one painted up like a pink pig.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖

You mean this one? http://www.ohiobarns.com/othersites/arttanks/co/ATk06-32pig.html or this one? http://www.ohiobarns.com/othersites/arttanks/in/14-34-01pig.html
From: http://www.ohiobarns.com/othersites/arttanks/artistictanks.html
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 13:05:34 GMT, "Mina O."

Looks similar- but the one I saw was in northern NY or Vermont.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 10, 1:38 am, Kat Rabun <katspianostudio...@Use-Author-Supplied- Address.invalid> wrote:

We have seen pigs, cows, Dachshunds and hot dogs around here, some very artful. I doubt if they used special paint, but I would keep it light.
Add pictures here
✖
"Kat Rabun" wrote

It can but you really want a good paint this time because it's a fairly awkward job and a better (oil based) paint will last longer. Like the others said, get every spec of rust off with a wire 'dremmel' (need not be named that, you want an electric drill with the wire brush attachment to make this go fast and do NOT skip the safety goggles! Flying rust bts in your eyes are very bad juju). Light colored paints only. Optimal is white or silver as others have said. A hot tank will release it's load on you through the safety valve. This is why in hot climate spots, they often have a little roof shed over them, open at the sides but shading it.

Grin, I have indeed seen ones with designs. Done in very light pastels on white. The cutest one was painted white with a little pale pastel pink 'piggy' outline with silver 'toenails' on the 'legs'. It's fine to dress it up a little as long as you stick to very light shades. Check the links below then call your propane supplier who will know the rules for your area.
http://www.ehow.com/way_6149600_colors-paint-propane-gas-tanks.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_5845959_decorate-propane-tanks.html
Add pictures here
✖