Do you bother to sharpen your lawn mower blade? Why?

And the generic mulching blades from the big-boxes here don't have nearly the 'wing' on the back as the factory mulching blade. Don't seem to work as well. I finally had the factory blade sharpened and put it back on, but in less than one season, the grass looks like it is getting dull again. Guess the old coot in the shack (saw sharpeners always seem to be characters) ground past the hard part of the steel. One of these days I need to hunt down a factory blade on line or at a real small-engine shop.
--
aem sends...

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 15:37:24 -0700, "James H."

A mulching blade won't require you to bag the clippings and send then to the landfill.
Also, saves on the cost of bags.
Is the blade different? I had thought it was just that the body prevented the grass from discharching so it went round and round being re-cut?

don &/or Lucille wrote:

Yes.
If it was that, there wouldnt be mulching BLADES.

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 06:37:54 -0230, "don &/or Lucille"

Mine has a secondary blade above the main blade that suposedly helps in the process of churning the clippings upwards so they get more chopping and mulching action.

I'm with you on the stupidity of buying bags and filling our landfills with lawn waste.
But, the other side of that is- a mulching blade doesn't allow you to mulch your tomatoes with lawn clippings.
I only mow for the clippings. If I didn't grow tomatoes I'd plant the whole damn 'lawn' to vinca, moss & wild thyme and put the mower on craigslist.
Jim

It also makes mowing a lot faster since you don't have to stop and empty the bagger. Beside, my ZTR does not have a bagging attachment.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Oren wrote the following:

I pile them up into a large compost pile. It may be 5 feet tall at the end of summer, but by spring, it is down to about 3 feet tall. The bottom of the pile has the blackest, richest soil that can be easily shoveled out like it was the soil that Billy Mays used to tout the Awesome Auger. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Mulching does not work in our climate. It'll never decompse. If one uses mulching mower all the time on our lawn, soon s/he'll realize the grass is being destroyed by extreme choking. We have to dethatch our lawn every spring.
Tony Hwang wrote:

What is your climate? You don't have earthworms?
James H. wrote:

A mulching blade produces grass that doesnt need to be collected, it can be left on the cut grass to mulch into the cut grass. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawn_mower

Yes.
On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 15:37:24 -0700, James H. wrote:

I'm up in northern MN - cheap living up here!

As others said, the blade shape's different, and designed to chop the clippings up into little pieces. At the moment I end up with little rows of clippings due to the regular blades I put on (no bagger on the mower, and with a couple of acres of lawn it'd be a lot of clippings to deal with anyway)

The ones for my MTD mower are; there's a lot of clearance under the mowing deck, and the mounting holes are exactly the same. I really don't know why I just grabbed the regular ones off the shelf :-)
cheers
Jules
On Jul 8, 9:42am, Jules Richardson

== The mulching blades are "high lift" and often cost a bit more. They are also made of high tensile steel. Buy the mulching blades even if you never mulch. ==
Roy wrote:

The blades on my mulching Toro have almost no lift compared to my bagging Snapper.
There are many kinds of "mulching blades. Some have 2 blades, one 1/2" higher than the other. Some have a downward forcing "fan" blade in the center to kick the grass around more under the mower, and maybe force it down into the grass. My toro is just a flat blade with the back corner bent up a tiny bit. One Toro I've used had plastic lumps under the deck like "waves" to force the cut grass back down.
James H. wrote:

Easier to sharpen and checlk balance. Of course if balance is off, mower will shake bad. Are you trying to make an excuse or being lazy?
James H. posted for all of us...

Start quote: It's too much work. End quote
--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.

On Tuesday, July 6, 2010 3:07:50 AM UTC-4, James H. wrote:

It's a safety thing. You can accidentally start the motor by turning the blade if the ignition is not grounded by an off switch of some sort. It's very uncommon but you know corporations have to make safe recommendations.
On Monday, May 12, 2014 4:47:23 PM UTC-4, jamesgang wrote:

One of our employees at the plant broke the pull cord. He was afraid to tell his supervisor so he started the mower the rest of the summer by pulling on the blade, until I caught him at it.
Shortly after he had a fender bender with one of the company trucks and walked away, never to return. Never did figure out what happened to him.
On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 00:40:31 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

I think I'll learn how to sharpen my blade and see if it makes a difference.
Interestingly, this video says the blade is the flywheel ... and that the "flywheel" at the top is really just a cooling fan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-QINnsFYw0

Interesting.
On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 23:56:23 -0700, "James H."

Strange. The thing at the top does have a fan, but which has the greater angular momemum? Or the bigger integral of distance from center x mass for the whole diameter of the blade versus "flywheel".
I don't know. The length of the blade is greater than the diameter at the top, but the thing at the top is a whole circle and pretty thick, not just a thin blade 2 inches wide or so.
Whichever's is greater could be considered the flywheel, I guess, because it does more to keep the engine spinning smoothly, even though it's a one-cylinder engine.