Do we need a water softener or filter or ????

This is the first time we've had a well so I know nothing about what filters, softeners, etc. I should be looking at (if any). We just had the water tested :
Hardness 12 GPG PH 7.7 Units Iron 1 ppm Manganese .l ppm color clear tds 220 ppm
Our water is clear but has a slight (iron) odor when taken from the tap. Smell seems to dissipate when allowed to sit. We drink it in coffee, tea, chocolate without noticing any odor and only notice it when brushing teeth (directly from tap).
We do have a yellow residue that forms in the toilet bowl and red residue that forms in the toilet tank.
Naturally the tester has recommended an expensive water softener. Do we need one??? What about a whole house filter (suggested by a neighbor)???
There are just the 2 of us and we only use the cabin 6-8 months/year. The cabin will be heated during the winter months as well as winterized (water drained and blown out of lines).
Appreciate your suggestions. Thanks!
Sandy
Dear All, this might be useful for you and your family
Technically engineered natural minerals have been structurally bonded in glass, at molecular level, using several high heat fusion methods. This combination of the techniques causes a catalytic energy conversion creating a long lasting, specific natural Nano resonance in the BIO DISC.
Transferring the "Nano Energising Frequency" into or through liquid affects the nanos within the liquid. When the mineral nanos come into contact with their specific frequency they behave completely differ ently from the host atom for instance: they boil quicker, are lighter and refract more light. This natural resonance has the ability to create a molecular structure in all manufactured or treated liquid and vegetation.
Product benefits: -It will enhance taste of food and beverages -It helps to improve sleep -It has the ability to balance ying and yang and create a CHI Life force -It helps to create energized water by placing drinking water on top of it -By drinking the energized water created from Bio Disc will help you detoxify and hydrate all body cells -It enhance your immune system of the body -It reduces stress levels -It increased take up of nutrients -It increases oxygenation of the blood -It has calming effects of the resonance increases mental Cognition -Rejuvenating molecular structures and nano cells, reduces bacteria formation, extends shelf life, improves taste and slows down the aging process. -Fruit, vegetables and meat lose molecular structure as they age. All can be revitalised at a molecular level by Qi technology resonance. -Put it in the pocket to reduce Jet Lag -Improve Wine Taste -Pour cosmetics/lotions on the surface of BIO DISC to maximize the benefits of cosmetics/lotions -Place BIO DISC on any wound/injury to accelerate the healing process -Move it counter clock wise to remove muscle injury -Remove Fat From Milk -Put cigarettes box on BIO DISC for 30 minutes to remove Tar and Nicotine from cigarettes -It accelerates relaxation into deeper meditation
Expose Positive and Expels Negative Effects NO SIDE EFFECTS AT ALL
Product Specification Appearance: Round Clear Glass Specific Size: Diam 9cm Thickness 10mm Specific Weight: 130grs Country of Origin: Germany Lifetime : 15 years Certified by: Prognos
For more info and inquiry: http://masterpiece.myqnet.biz

Wow, that is so bad that it doesn't even rise up to the level of pseudo- science.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hmmm, Wundebar! How come you're walking on crouch then?
sandy wrote:

No. A plain jane softener at $400-$600 or so will do just as well. You need to get one that will handle your already known hardness and provide sufficient water for the two of you. It will also minimize - probably pretty much eliminate - the iron. You might also want to do your own water test...the person who did yours works on commission. ______________

Do you have sand or other crud in the water? If not, there is nothing to filter.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I agree, plenty of people end up getting a filter that can do next to nothing. Also good idea to do the test again. When you have results try getting quotes from several suppliers and something back in writing stating their softner is correct for results. Theye are less likely to sell you whatever gives them more commission which may not be sutable. Finally ring them back playing off your quotes, there are big mark ups on these and most will do anything for a sale, especially on the net.
Stu http://www.cateringappliancesltd.co.uk
sandy wrote:

You have all the symptoms of the iron and TDS issues in the toilet and tank. Irrespective of getting a second test, which is a good idea if you think of a water softener, 12 grains is not bad for water hardness. The only two issues I worry about are TDS and Iron.
TDS is MUD. You should see what the whole house water filter on CITY water, mind you, looks like after 6 months!!!
So if you think in terms of a water softener, you don't need a expensive one, Sears and others sell lots in the $400 range. BUT invest in a whole house filter a 10 micron filter and change it regularly
The whole house filter will ONLY deal with TDS, it has NO effect on ANYTHING else.
Robert Gammon wrote:

Robert: TDS is not mud. TDS is total DISSOLVED solids, like calcium, sodium, magnesium, sulfates, carbonates, etc, It does not filter out. Mud does. :). Leo.

Gee, it sounds like you're talking about my cabin. FOr my purposes of getting the 'gunk' out of the water a 10mic filter did the job. Yea, it still smells a little and tastes a little off but not enough to bother us for occassional use. Besides, it's a place to get away. Not another place to service. Why complicate your life. Keep it simple and you'll be happier.