Do they make a Corrosion Contact Cleaner for autos

Posted May 29, 2015

Under my truck there are a few cables with plugs. One goes to the transfer case for the 4WD, which controls the lights to indicate it's in

4WD. The contacts are corroded.

In all the years I have worked on autos, there was never any real good solution. Thin files, a small piece of sandpaper, scraping with a small pocket knife blade, etc. None of these fixes seems to do a good job, or last long.

With all the sprays and chemicals they come out with all the time, I'm wondering if they have come out with some sort of spray cleaner.... Anyone know?????

Thanks

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Cleaner

Sealer

bob_villa

A friend of mine loves Caig De-Oxit for cleaning electrical connections. I've not tried it.

Advance Auto Parts has tubes of dielectric grease, for when you put the connections back together. Help keep moisture out and reduce corrosion.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

...already covered, but thanks anyway.

Reply to
bob_villa

There are many so called spray cleaners. One of the best is WD40. Deoxit is preferred by many for electronics. Napa and volkswagen used to stock Stabilant, a magic contact restorer, mostly alcohol solution. Used to be called tweek in audio circles. I now usually use CRC 2-26. Non of these sprays clean any corrosion, without actually rubbing, multiple insertions, or wiping.

Another contact Type restorer is oleic acid. Caig deoxit used to sell cramolin product from Germany. Oleic acid was an ingredient. They quit doing that and now sell the current formula. Oleic acid is in olive oil. Some take oleic acid and mix with naphtha or alcohol as an application.

One product works at corrosion, that's TarnX. Depends on contact material, then washed, and protective coat applied, either dielectric grease or maybe CRC 2-26 .

just like everyone should have some WD 40 , everyone should get some CRC

2-26.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

While some of the suggestions in this thread sound good, I cant see WD40 being of much use. WD40 sells a lot, and it seems very popular, but I really cant understand why. I suppose it's just good advertising. I have never found WD40 to be useful for much of anything, except to blast away grease. As far as I've heard, all it is, is kerosene in an aerosol can. To loosen rusted bolts, I find PB Blaster far better.

I would think a mild acid would actually remove the corrosion. I've actually wondered if soaking a connector in lemon juice would remove the corrosion????????

BTW: Most connectors are brass.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

TarnX is acid. I think it says not for brass. It sort of works on brass. Wonderful on silver and copper.

Greg

Reply to
gregz