Do remote controls talk to each other?

Page 2 of 2

Does it involve a family pet?

Nope.
Lou wrote:

Just a thought, I had a friend who's TV remote system was driven nuts by a compact fluorescent bulb installed in a table lamp. It could be possible, if you have a CFL near your TV, that a voltage drop occurring when your AC starts up could cause a frequency shift in the output circuitry of the CFL that mimics a remote control. A CFL lamp uses a high frequency electronic ballast operating in the range of 40 kHz which is similar to the frequency range that IR remotes operate in. I wonder if you are using any CFL lamps around your entertainment center?
[8~{} Uncle Monster
Lou wrote:

No, that is baloney. The sensors are sensors, not emitters. They do not produce any signals.
The emitter is on the handheld remote unit. Yours has a thermostat function built into the remote. The remote is telling the AC to come on, and that signal happens to be the same signal that tells your entertainment system to come on.