DO NOT use Snowblower on a Roof

I just downloaded a user manual for a snowblower I am trying to repair. It says "DO NOT use Snowblower on a Roof". COME ON....... I know this world is full of idiots, but could anyone /really/ be that stupid? (Not to mention having to lift it up there, when it takes 2 men to load it into a pickup truck)!
On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 23:55:46 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@internet.com wrote:

It is done all the time. Last winter, one of the local supermarkets had one going after a series of big snowfalls. The previous building owner where I work had done it a few years ago.
Years ago, I've seen a photo of a Jehovas Witness meeting house, with a couple dozen people up there, shovelling. And, also done at stores and other places with flat roofs. Stores, malls, etc.
It is done all the time. Last winter, one of the local supermarkets had one going after a series of big snowfalls. The previous building owner where I work had done it a few years ago.
On 3/14/13 12:55 AM, snipped-for-privacy@internet.com wrote:

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 06:20:27 -0500, Dean Hoffman

That's funny!!!!
That's like these "Mister Heater" heaters that go on a LP tank. They say "Do not use indoors". While I'm fully aware that they can burn up the oxygen, and kill a person in a tightly sealed building, and fresh air should always be allowed to enter the building, but saying "Do not use indoors" is rediculous. There's no point in having one if you are going to try to heat the outdoor air.
On 03/14/2013 12:41 PM, snipped-for-privacy@internet.com wrote:

They are actually quite common around here in drift boats during the salmon/steelhead run.
Jon

I have used them outdoors. One time I had to fix my wife's brakes on a winter morning. I kept the propane heater right next to me and it helped, especially to warm my hands up every now and then.
On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 06:20:27 -0500, Dean Hoffman

They would be wacky, but people do the sort of things warned against. Of course, a simple label is not going to stop the true idiots.
On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 23:55:46 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@internet.com wrote:

I have done my garage roof with my Toro 1800 [electric].
I've seen big honkin' 10HP blowers on flat roofs in the city.
Beats the hell out of a shovel- even way up in the air.
Jim
On 3/14/2013 12:55 AM, snipped-for-privacy@internet.com wrote:

When my next door neighbor hired a roofer to redo her roof, he dawdled from early fall into the middle of winter...so right after New Year's, we got to watch two of his crew hoist a snowblower onto the roof, blow off the snow, and get back to nailing shingles.
On 3/14/2013 12:55 AM, snipped-for-privacy@internet.com wrote:

It is said that "Ignorance can be cured, but stupid is forever."
So, yes, I seriously doubt that some guy intelligent enough to find work writing technical manuals and such, sat toking a blunt and decided, "Hey, this is something fun to write into this manual."
More likely that some cretin told his buddy, "Hey! Here, hold my beer, I wanna try something! Wait, set it down over there and give me a hand" with predictable (to anyone with a brain) results.<g>
I don't know how true this is, but I heard of a couple brain deads who wanted to trim a hedge. Someone had the idea that two guys could pick up a walk behind lawn mower, and carry it over the top of the hedge. Reaching under the mower, they lost several fingers.
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I don't know how true this is, but I heard of a couple brain deads who wanted to trim a hedge. Someone had the idea that two guys could pick up a walk behind lawn mower, and carry it over the top of the hedge. Reaching under the mower, they lost several fingers.
Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . Had a friend that has a long frontage hedge that was over 6 feet tall and about 4 feet wide. This was a tough job up & down a step ladder to do the trimming. His neighbor brought over his large back hoe. He tied the lawn mower on the bucket , fired up the mower and would swing it back & forth over the hedge and then lower it to cut more off. Was a good looking job when done. WW
On Mar 14, 12:55 am, snipped-for-privacy@internet.com wrote:

DAGS
Lots of videos of people using snowblowers on roofs...residential and businesses.

I think the misconception here is that some folks are picturing people using it on a traditional, pitched house roof. It would make sense to use it on FLAT roofs, if there is a huge snowfall that is pushing the limits of the roof. And if there is easy accessibility, ie a large commercial roof. The snowblower manufacturer is probably just putting that warning in to cover their asses in the even someone runs one off a roof and kills someone.
On 03/14/2013 06:13 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I can see a problem with the snow that is being blown off of the roof causing a problem, especially if there is a well-travelled road down below, or a busy sidewalk. Yes, this is a common sense issue, but that commodity is in short supply at the current time.
Jon

Note the phrasing of the OP's post:
"I know this world is full of idiots, but could anyone /really/ be that stupid? (Not to mention having to lift it up there, when it takes 2 men to load it into a pickup truck)!"
There's no mention of what type of roof he is "objecting" to. In fact, the last sentence, related to the weight, would apply to a flat roof, a pitched roof or even a dome. It's clear (at least to me) that the OP felt (at least at that point) that the use of a snowblower on *any* roof makes the user "stupid".
Hopefully, the responses in the thread have pointed him in the right direction...up!
snipped-for-privacy@internet.com wrote the following on 3/14/2013 1:55 AM (ET):

Probably has something to do with lawsuits. "Nobody told me not to do it". http://bit.ly/X9YgAK
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak;3029827 Wrote:

That's it. My Makita corded electric drill came with a user's manual telling me not to use it underwater.
--
nestork

wrote the following on 3/14/2013 1:55 AM (ET):

I can see the benefit to blowing the snow off flat or nearly flat roofs. I am sure that the manufacturer inserted that warning for protection from any damages that the blower may cause when the operator hits a vent or other equipment under the snow or if the skids on the bottom of the blower slices into the roofing material and causes leaks, or if the blower picks up gravel on the roof and shatters windows, or someone pops a disk in their back trying to lift it up or back down. With care they will work but the manufacturer doesn't want to cover the additional risks that roof blowing entails. Their lawyers would probably like to add warnings against the dangers of clearing snow off driveways but that would kill off all sales.