Dishwasher pissing out bottom of door

I just replaced the motor/pump in a Maytag dishwasher as the it was leaking around the shaft of the motor. This all went well and the motor isn't leaking anymore. BUT, there is serious leakage around the bottom of the door. The DW is level, not overfilling and not leaking around the door side seals. This only happens when the spray arm is active. So it would appear that it is spaying against the bottom of the door. BUT, there are not any obvious cracks in the spray arm, although it was removed of course. The Spray arm is turning freely BTW.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the Ring seal not being seated properly. Is there any trick to putting the seal back, ie. any particular orientation?

Reply to
Bill Stock

That was the case with Kenmore. The ring seal was loose and water was getting around it. I used Liquid Nails Tub and Tile Surround to reset and secure the seal where it was loose and that lasted the rest of the life of the dishwasher -- about 5 years. As to the orientation of the seal, since it was not loose all the way around i found it pretty intuitive.

FACE

Reply to
FACE

The seal is actually two split rings. So I was wondering if the split was supposed to fit around a nub or if the rings were supposed to be offset. Preventing the split from lining up and letting water through.

Reply to
Bill Stock

Does this model have the little boot that keeps the soap dispenser lid closed? If so I would bet that the gasket around that boot is shot. You can purchase the soap dispenser unit separately and install. It's not a difficult fix.

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H

Yeah, the motor job was less than an hour. Not counting the day I wasted last week tearing the old one apart. Only to realize the seals were not built to be repaired.

Our Maytag Fridge and Stove are design disasters. We won't buy their applainces again.

Reply to
Bill Stock

Thanks Peter, it's leaking way too much for a door seal. I may have to rethink the "not overfilling" statement. Although the water is not above the 'bowl' in the bottom of the tub, it may be above the bottom of the air gap cover. It's either sloshing out the bottom of the door (both sides) or spraying out. I'm REAL tempted to don my slicker and hold the latch shut so I can watch the action. LOL.

Starngely it did not leak at all tonight and I didn't make any changes.

Reply to
Bill Stock

I see. Obviously my Kenmore seal was simpler then and "intuitive" does not apply to your situation. :-) -- FACE

Reply to
FACE

I just had the motor replaced in a 3 rack Maytag dishwasher. All the guy did was drop it in. By the way the new motor, made in China, was noisier then the old and the front panel board went out on the dishwasher a few weeks later. This was the 4 th breakdown in a 2 year old Maytag dishwasher and I trashed it. Even though the parts are guaranteed they are charging $155 for labor so it was not worth sinking another penny into this trouble plagued dishwasher. Before spending more money on yours, make sure it is not one of their unreliable models like mine. You can check at epinions.com for comments on your model. The 3 rack versions have a horrible collection of complaints.

Reply to
Art

Personal experience here, nothing more.

I have found that these one time or occasional leaks can be caused by having say, a saucer or bowl, in just the correct position in the front of the basket to deflect a jet spray of water at "just the right place" so that it goes behind the seal.

FACE

Look! A puppy!

Reply to
FACE

I have a whirlpool dishwasher that's about 6 years old. One day it leaked about two cups of water out onto the kitchen floor. I reluctantly tried the dishwasher again, but with a towel under it to soak up any water, but it didn't end up leaking. This was approximately one year ago, and has never leaked again.

I don't know what caused the leak, but whatever it was, it "fixed" itself.

Brigitte

Reply to
Brigitte