dishwasher overflow [sink] calking/sealer

what is the normal sink-top cauking used here? [the old broken dry caulking is off to the left]
http://imgur.com/gt340UK
http://i.imgur.com/gt340UK.jpg
and, what could I substitute here? maybe make a rubber gasket of some kind, underneath the white round nut? [it doesn't seem to need much of a seal]
thanks marc
On Wednesday, June 4, 2014 1:54:55 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It looks like it was a gasket, I don't think they use caulk. The part you see doen't look so great, they don't cost much, maybe just replace the whole thing.....