Dishwasher Blues

Hi All. Longtime lurker, occasional poster here. Hoping someone can help w/ this dishwasher problem.
When you turn the dial to start the machine the dial won't advance. Seems to me to be the timer, but what do I know.
If this is the timer can I fix it myself? I'm reasonably handy and can do most minor electrical jobs around the house. I once replaced the soap dispenser on a very similar machine to this without too much trouble.
The machine is a Maytag, model # MDB4800AWW
tia
Peter H
Try this site, it might help MLD http://www.repairclinic.com/0003.asp

w/

If you're getting power to the timer's motor but the timer is not advancing, the timer is defective and will need to be replaced. You can see the replacement timer for your model at the following link. (it appears to come with a new float but I don't know why)
Maytag MDB4800AWW Timer http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?rc@0510
It the timer's motor is *not* getting power, you'd have to look elsewhere for where that power stops.

Replacing a timer is not usually that difficult of a job, most reasonably handy persons should be able to accomplish it.
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Maytag+dishwasher
=~~~~~~
timer repair kit - series 10 & 18 ( first 2 #'s of the serial # )