Dish TV

Page 1 of 3
I am considering switching from cable (charter) to Dish TV and I have a few questions...since my house is already wired for cable the only new cable would be from the dish on my roof to a new cable box in the house?? Also I have 4 tv's in my home but only one cable box, the other tv's are hooked up to a cable connection on the back of the tv..( no cable box) but I can still watch tv, albeit limited channels. Will I still be able to watch tv without a cable box? I will have a DVR supplied by the dish provider, but only on one tv.
Thanks, cj

Have you conisder having a lobotomy. Probably more entertaining.

Have you thought of asking these questions to Dish?????
On 4/25/2013 2:04 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

a.o-s.comcast guys would probably give an opinion. I'm surprised that dish does not have an ng.
On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 14:41:36 -0400, Frank

Usenet doesn't have one but there is one at Dslreports.com http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cover,2910
Dslreports has some pretty useful forums for broadband and satellite.

alt.dbs.echostar
--
When a cat sits in a human's lap both the human and the cat are usually
happy. The human is happy because he thinks the cat is sitting on him/her

The latest DISH receiver has an input for regular broadcast TV in addition to the input from the satellite dish. Consequently, for no additional money, you can get the broadcast channels in your area AND their subchannels, which DISH doesn't provide with their satellite link...... You need a regular, old style TV antenna to do this. You will need a DISH receiver for each TV set, which acts like the monitor, tho you can use a channel splitter and split a single DISH receiver output to several TV sets, but you will only have one remote for each receiver used.
DISH remotes are now infrared, instead of RF, so you can't go "thru walls" and use a remote in bedroom 2 to control the receiver which may be located elsewhere. However, there are "infrared to RF" links available for around $50, which will allow you to do the "thru wall" operation, and they are very easy to add. I don't know whether your existing cables are acceptable for DISH, but if they have to be changed, they can be taped and pulled --- lots easier than drilling new holes --- and in any case, the new DISH installation is free, or was a year ago......
http://www.satelliteguys.us
a wealth of info on dish and direct tv..
dish is about to have a big increase on their DVR fees again:(
I dropped dish and went to comcast triple play when dish raised my extra receiver fees from 6 dollars to 17 bucks per month
I bouht a tivo with lifetime service and a cablecard and am very happy......

The Hopper is a Dish DVR, not a DirecTV DVR.
--
When a cat sits in a human's lap both the human and the cat are usually
happy. The human is happy because he thinks the cat is sitting on him/her

I wouldn't give one cent of my money to that crooked company (Dish). Just my opinion!
On Apr 25, 6:24 pm, snipped-for-privacy@internet.com wrote:

Years ago I was a dish supporter and loved how charlie reinvented TV. I was a dealer, and even attended a satellite launch as a VIP, got to meet jim & Charlie:)
But then charlie turned over day to day operations to the suits:( who increased costs all around.... for better profits.
For instance much higher DVR, extra receiver fees, and since they kinda force you to RENT your equiptement they make you PAY to return leased equiptement.... 25 nbucks at last report, if you refuse to pay for the return they will charge you hundreds for non return and ruin your credit...
Plus when your signing up for service and agreeing to a CONTRACT they wouldnt warn you costs are going up in as little as 2 days. Yet they hold you to the contract:(
They have become customer unfriendly and years ago if you had troubles Dish would give you a credit on your bill... Thats ended when the suits took over...
On 04/25/2013 07:25 PM, bob haller wrote:

And that, right there, is why I will never give a dime to those bastards.
Jon
On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 05:37:57 -0700, Jon Danniken

Same here.... They have these (annoying) commercials on TV, where they state that you cna get all these things for $29.99 per month. That dont sound like such a bad deal, because some people pay more than that just for the internet. But that's just a scam to sucker people into signing their contract. From someone who I know, who actually got their service, that $29.99 is just the service. There are other costs that they dont mention, which are required to use their service. But it dont end there. That $29.99 is just the introductory price. After a certain amount of time, the price almost triples. And since they got you locked into a contract, you have little choice but to pay it, or pay extreme penalties. The person I mentioned ended up paying close to $100 per month after the introduction.
Personally, I wont deal with ANY companies that require contracts for services such as this. That includes TV, internet, and cellphone. I use prepaid cellphone, internet paid per month, and my tv signal comes from my roof antenna.
On Apr 26, 5:05 pm, snipped-for-privacy@internet.com wrote:

.

Oh wow, what a truly evil company. They have introductory rates that are lower for the first year..... After that they go up. Who would have thunk that?
Let's see, if I triple it, that makes it $90 a month. That's about $25 less than I'm paying for cable and internet......

Typically, no contract is required unless you want to take advantage of the special rates. For example, I have no contract with my cable company for TV or internet. If you're a new customer and you want the discounted rate, then you have to keep the service for a year. If you don't you pay the difference. I can quit at any time with no penalty. Same with most cell phone companies. If you want to use your own phone or buy one of theirs at full price, you can do so. If you want a $250 phone for FREE, or a $300 one for just $50, then yes, the contract for that is that you have to keep the service for 2 years. If you don't then you have to pay the difference. Geez... what do you expect?

not around here, my triple play phone, internet and tv is about what i paid in the past for dish only
On 4/29/2013 6:34 PM, bob haller wrote:

In my area (San Francisco Bay Area) is $130/month (minus about $12.50/month in rebates) for a one year contract once you add the extras (DVR, second cable box, HD) so it works out to about $117.50. Dish works out to about $45/month over a two year contract after all the introductory offers are factored in, while DirecTV is a few dollars higher at about $48/month.
You have to switch every two years between Dish and DirecTV to get the introductory offers again otherwise the cost of satellite TV goes way up.
I wouldn't mind a "double play" for $80 per month. Who needs the landline from Comcast when you can buy an Ooma box or some other VOIP solution?

I pay a tad over $235 for Dish, POTS phone with all the features and 10MB DSL internet but I have the full boat channel package

You will need a box for each TV. You may want to consider DirecTV too. In fact, if you got that way I can give you my account number and we both save $100.
I do save a few bucks with DirecTV and it has more HD channels and more of the ones I watch. They have a new DVR that can record 5 shows at once and you can watch them on any TV in the house.
IMO, they are all over priced, but I've been very happy with DTV for a few years now. Our cable company really sucked.
On 4/25/2013 10:19 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I would read the below site before suggesting DTV. I was thinking about it to replace my cable co. until I checked the below, and now I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy. YMMV!!! http://www.complaintslist.com/2013/directv-wth/
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I've had both Dish and DTV recently. Of the two (no cable available), DTV is definitely the better system. They have better hardware and it's far more reliable with fewer "oddities". The Dish hardware really sucks. That said, I'd probably switch to cable if I had the option.